Type of tree for wet areas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tjconner, Mar 2, 2005.

1. tjconner

tjconner New Member

What type of tree should I plant in wet areas. The levee on my pond leaks and I would like to plant some trees or shrubs in the area to suck up the seepage. Any ideas?? Can't fix the seepage without tearing out the whole levee and draining the pond

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I live in Zone 7 and we are in the process of converting 34+ acres back to wetlands (this property is in a flood plain). Our Soil Conservation Service sent us this list of hardwoods to plant:

Well Drained to Moderately Well Drained:

Cherrybark Oak, Northern Red Oak, Sawtooth Oak, Southern Red Oak, White Oak, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Chinese Chestnut, Dogwood, Hickory, Persimmon, Plum, Sassafras, Wild Crabapple, Basswood and Cottonwood.

Moderately Well Drained to Some What Poorly Drained:

Cherrybark Oak, Chinkapin Oak, Scarlet Oak, Shumard Oak, Water Oak, Willow Oak, Black Gum, Hackberry, Mulberry, Persimmon, Pecan, Green Ash, Sweet Gum, Sycamore, Yellow Poplar.

Some What Poorly Drained to Very Poorly Drained:

Nuttail Oak, Overcup Oak, Swamp Chestnut Oak, Swamp White Oak, Willow Oak, Bald Cypress, Green Ash, Persimmon.

The natural stand of trees we have is in the bottom and poorly drained. In it are mostly Sycamores and Cypress. On higher ground were it drains somewhat better we have a lot of Elms, Oaks, Sweet Gums, Honey Locust, Persimmon, and Sassafras.

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Telling us your planting zone would help.

If it is really wet and there is no danger with the roots causing problems, try willow.

Otherwise, river birch grows fast, is deciduous, clumps and has pretty winter bark.

4. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Willows, Bamboo & Catails all suck up water. I've heard the Bamboo will spread out pretty far.

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

WAIT! STOP! Before planting bamboo, search this site and you will find my horror story about my own folly in planting it. I wouldn't wish it on my enemy!

If you must plant bamboo but it from a trusted source as 'clumping' however it can be expensive for a large area, as it doesn't spread as fast/far as the runner type.

River birches, willows and many others will be for sale at the local Big Lots soon for about $13 a tree. I have had great success with their trees.

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i agree willow is about the best but watch planting to close to the house they are known to snap in high winds

7. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:) River birch and Bald Cypress,Cotton wood .Sycamore all work even in standing water

8. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

We have Australian Willows planted in our wet areas. They grow very quickly.

9. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

If it is a damp/wet area, willows will easily root from cuttings of branches. Just stick twigs in the ground, and a good percentage should grow. I usually do it in early spring, just as they are barelyl starting to bud out, before the leaves appear. Pieces a foot long work for me.

Jim

10. bergere

bergere Just living Life

In the wet areas here, Cedar grows well. We have some rather old cedar trees on rather swampy ground.

11. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Zone 4 or lower probably best for these:
    White Spruce
    White Cedar
    Tamarack or European Larch
    Black Srpuce
    Willow
    Alder
    White Ash

12. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

I agree with the bamboo warnings - If you plant bamboo make sure to plant the right kind.

There were 2 kinds at my house when I moved on - one that has kept itself in check, looks great, does not spread, etc.

The other was an established spreading nightmare from h#ll!!! - It took me months of weekends with a chainsaw to eleminate it.

13. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

Do I understand you correctly? You want to plant trees on the pond dam?

That's a bad idea according to the sources I have. We keep our pond dams clear of tree roots because the root grows through the dam and creates a channel that the water then begins to seep along through the dam. We've been told it can make the dam wash out sooner. We've had to hire a dozer to repair several ponds in the past few years.

14. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Yea to the catails! they are also a emergency source of food! Very good plant!

15. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Depending on the size/depth of the pond, be careful with cattails as theyc an choke a smaller pond fairly quickly.