Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in developing a spring on my property, I've seen some tutorials on building spring boxes, and I was wondering what the best material and diameter is for running a pipe from the spring to where I want to user the water, Something non - toxic.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Does it freeze where you live? How far is the spring from where you want to use the water and is it down hill? Perhaps the white garden hose RVs use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's for my airstream ... so it's probably going to be a 3 season property anyway, not super concerned about freezing ....

·
Registered
677 Posts
It would help to know the distance. 50 ft or 500 ft. Perhaps put the rv right next to spring. 20 ft hose with a 12v pump to the rv If water is cold enough use the water to cool food and drinks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It may be a few hundred feet to the spring ... I have to find the actual spring head, was thinking of putting a shutoff at the top with a purge valve, so I could blow out the pipe with compressed air for the winter

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
Black poly is the normal thing. Read the label carefully, there is stuff that isn't for drinking water, there are also 2 pressure grades. You likely won't need much pressure, but it has to do with how durable the pipe is.... Sure is better if you burry it some, here we go 5 feet for freeze protection, sounds like you aren't here tho! ;)

There is a blue plastic pipe now that is thicker walled, much more durable, that most folk are using for water lines now. Good tough stuff. I would use that, but I hate having re occurring problems later on with leaks and all.

The farther water has to travel in a hose, the more resistance it has.

So size of the hose depends on the pressure it is getting (gravity feed?) and the distance it has to go.

At least 3/4 inch, and a gravity feed 500 foot setup you might want 1.5 to 2 inch depending on what all you are doing with the water.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts