type of hoof cutters?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Debara, May 10, 2006.

1. Debara

Debara Well-Known Member

Could someone please tell me what type of hoof cutters are the best ones to have? should they be a two sided blade, or one side a blade and the other a flat side. could we use little cutters that are meant for roses? Thanks, Deb :)

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

You might be able to use your rose trimmers. The hoof trimmers I like best are he orange handled ones that look like pruning shears. I also like to use a rasp to get them nice and even.

3. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

I also use a pair of curved bypass pruners. Work great for me.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I don't like the pruning shears as much because of the thick side which prevents you from getting a good cut from certain sides/angles. I got multi use heavy duty shears from menards and they work great. both sides are sharp.

5. bergy5

bergy5 Well-Known Member

We have tried everything Jeffers offers. Horse nippers, Fisker shears, side cuts, nippers. Now I just use a pair of Craftsman side cuts & hoof knife. Everything else dulled too fast.

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I recently got a pair of the best hoof trimmers Hoeggers sells, after using the 'second best' for several years. They are SO much better than the other ones! I can even trim dry hooves (when there hasn't been any rain for a while).

Kathleen