Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the planning stage for an outside setup in Zone 6 NC. I only expect to grow fish in the warmer months at first. What type of fish will taste most like "whitefish", we don't like the taste of tilapia?

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
White sucker?
If grown in clear fresh water they taste somewhat like
lake whitefish.

Reactions: ad in wnc

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
I am in the planning stage for an outside setup in Zone 6 NC. I only expect to grow fish in the warmer months at first. What type of fish will taste most like "whitefish", we don't like the taste of tilapia?
There are some native trout species that should do well for you and I think you'll like the taste too.

Reactions: ad in wnc

·
Premium Member
15,960 Posts
Grass carp tastes like halibut and has the same flakey texture. You could probably feed them a lot of grass clippings and other vegetation but they can be trained to eat pellets.

They jump when spooked so the tank would need to be covered.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
What do you thing your outside set up will cost? I'm two zones colder so it probably wouldn't apply up here, but curious, all the same.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a one year old shed: two rows of pallets tall and four long. The bottom row is covered in plywood and the top row is covered in mesh. It has a solid roof and door. I plan on adding one 250 gal tote and two horse troughs. The is no running water (I plan on using the garden hose from a well) and no connection to a sewer. NC requires a permit to grow tilapia because they are invasive. I am not close to any external body of water and I have been approved for the permit. Now costs: the building cost approx $750; the tote $100; the troughs est $200; electricity to the shed $850; three immersion aquarium heaters $40/ea; three pond pumps $60/ea. I haven't gotten to the filters and plumbing yet. I don't intend to keep fish in winter but I do plan on insulating the bottom 4 feet of the shed and adding plastic around the top four feet. I have shelves inside the shed to set plant trays on and will add outside shelves for plants also. I intend on purchasing the higher dollar items over the winter on sale or craigslist. I almost forgot, the shed has solar lights so that I can check on everything at night. Lights cost $25 at target.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I have a one year old shed: two rows of pallets tall and four long. The bottom row is covered in plywood and the top row is covered in mesh. It has a solid roof and door. I plan on adding one 250 gal tote and two horse troughs. The is no running water (I plan on using the garden hose from a well) and no connection to a sewer. NC requires a permit to grow tilapia because they are invasive. I am not close to any external body of water and I have been approved for the permit. Now costs: the building cost approx $750; the tote $100; the troughs est $200; electricity to the shed $850; three immersion aquarium heaters $40/ea; three pond pumps $60/ea. I haven't gotten to the filters and plumbing yet. I don't intend to keep fish in winter but I do plan on insulating the bottom 4 feet of the shed and adding plastic around the top four feet. I have shelves inside the shed to set plant trays on and will add outside shelves for plants also. I intend on purchasing the higher dollar items over the winter on sale or craigslist. I almost forgot, the shed has solar lights so that I can check on everything at night. Lights cost $25 at target.
It is illegal to own live tilapia in Michigan

Planning on putting in yellow perch, bluegill and channel cats this year. :cute:

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
Its illegal to own Blue tilapia, Riverdale.

As far as I know all other tilapia are legal.

In fact if you google up the registered "Aqaculture facilitys" You Find a good few selling Tilapia, mostly if not all the Nile subspecies.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
Above post should say in Michigan.

The reason the Blues are prohibited is its a possibility they can survive our winters.
I do not think they would survive a harsh one though.

The other subspecies though Die below 50 degrees.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Its illegal to own Blue tilapia, Riverdale.

As far as I know all other tilapia are legal.

In fact if you google up the registered "Aqaculture facilitys" You Find a good few selling Tilapia, mostly if not all the Nile subspecies.
I thought I read all tilapia *ooops*

I still would go with yellow perch, I like the taste of them better, tho :thumb:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'm confused, as usual... When we lived in VA we were z 7. How can you be z6 in NC? Elevation ?
Because he is a bad, bad boy.........

:cute::cute::cute:

Reactions: light rain
1 - 20 of 21 Posts