Two weeks before my first baby is due!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by dosthouhavemilk, Aug 28, 2006.

1. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Two weeks and counting!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Gabrielle. I attended The Graham School in Garnett KS last November. Gabrielle and Hermaine were in heat the evening after I returned home from Kansas last November. I bred Hermaine around 11:30PM to Brendon-P and Gabrielle was bred around 1AM. Both took to that service (first service for both). Unfortunately, Hermaine aborted at 6 months gestation. She was still pregnant when we were going to do herd health along with vaccinations and a week and a half later she was in heat when we finally did the herd health.
    Gabrielle was bred to Pearl. He was a herd bull that was collected in 1982 (24 years ago!..the year I was born). We saw two heats her entire breeding age life and that includes the heat we bred her on. She is three years old.
    Looks like she will be having a bull calf.
    Pearl was out of Quicksilver Noble and Deni Royal Denise (not sure on her pedigree right off hand).

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Getting excited?? :) We are expecting a first-freshening hiefer to calve anyday now. Here she is. M&M is Jersey/Holstien and due on the 30th. Bred to Stewart Little(Registered Jersey). M&M is the darker hiefer.

[​IMG]

I was born in 1982 also....... :)

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Roseanna - Your Gabrielle shows good udder cleft. God luck on the calving.
    I HAVE TO KNOW- What the heck is that Tiger-Stripe Cow????????????

4. Up North

Ozark Jewels - Given your skill & understanding of dairy cows, I would have guessed you were twice your age, LOL.
    By the looks of them horns, the Ozark wildlife won't be messin' with your cows, LOL.

5. dosthouhavemilk

That would be Amistad. El Tigre's (1/2 N.R., 1/2 Jersey) second heifer calf of 13. The black cow with the galaxy on her side was his first daughter, Space Cadet Toby (S. C.-Essie for short).
    Amistad is 3/4 Jersey, 1/4 Norwegian Red. The N.R. tends to throw red, red brindle or black. However, we have two purple brindles so far (don't know if Juness' second heifer will look like her and her other daughter yet or not) and the brown brindle there and then we had a beautiful burgundy wine to chocolate brown colored heifer with white splashes.
    You just never know what you will get with those crosses.

Gabrielle is a promising heifer for sure.
    It's a darn shame she will likely calve with a bull calf. My grandmother is terribly excited about the prospect of more Pearl babies (we have a 3/4 Jersey, 1/4 N.R. settled to him due in November as well). This line tends to calve way early. Her older half sister was three weeks early. Her neice, who calved the end of July, went two weeks early with a heifer calf. So, at this stage, I'm not holding out much hope on a heifer alf. Though that would have been the icing on the cake, of course!

Emily, that is one of the things I've always found neat. The two of us being the same age, though you are a few months older. :p :)

6. ozark_jewels

Oh, I don't really know that much, just grew up with them and I guess it sunk in. :)
    Those horns are due to come off as soon as the weather cools off. They are still on there only because I was busy and misssed the time to disbudd them. I really don't want horns on the cows we milk. Those hiefers just aren't careful enough when they swing their heads......and it worries me when they are around the goats. :help:

7. ozark_jewels

Yeah, yeah, rub it in........ :D I thought it was neat too.....and both of us have Jerseys and goats....... :)

8. Up North

I laughed when I saw them horns because my FIL had "missed' a couple sets of them on his big old Holstien cows. One day Heather went to get the cows and they had treed a Black Bear. More of them "Savage Killer Holstiens" LOL.

9. ozark_jewels

LOL!! Killer cows......a great movie idea, don't you think?? :p
    Our Jerseys have always had horns and we were just careful around them, but there have been a few near misses. But as we start teaching the younger children to handle the cows, and since we have two *large* Jersey/Holstien heifers.....And as the cows share their pasture with our herd of dairy goats, I get really uncomfortable having the horns on them now. Our older cows will keep theirs, but the younger generations will be taken off and any more heifers born here will be disbudded. All it takes is a careless swing of the head for something terrible to happen.....its just not worth it when we work in such close quarters with these cows.

10. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

question-
    on the rear end shot, the 2 jersey butts are messy from the tail swishing
    so I'm assuming their stool is looser than the other cow
    why would that be, and is that something to take some kind of action about
    cause it looks just like my jerseys rear end

pretty cows
    I like the brindle, and the idea of mixed colors
    my f-i-l used to have brahma crosses
    all we've got not are those boring ole angus
    I took pics ages ago of my fils cows eating during the winter in the snow, framed them and gave them to my sil for Christmas one year
    every time my dh sees them, he comments about how he'd like to have some pics of his cows
    you just can't take pics of all black cows eating from a round bale
    fil would drive the truck through and drop out pads so the cows would spread out nicely

11. ozark_jewels

Nope, thats a typical looking cow butt. :) Especially when their vulva starts swelling preparatory to calving, as the poop lands on it and then they switch it all over their butts with their tails. And sometimes they'll poop while laying down and then it gets all over them.

12. ozark_jewels

Roseanna...I *love* the coloring of that brindle cow! A dairy where I used to milk had a Jersey cross who looked almost exactly like that. Her name was tiger.....she was a BRAT!! :rolleyes:

13. dosthouhavemilk

Essie, the black cow, does have manure on her rump as well, you just can't see it. :p

They are out on pasture and it rained recently. Typical looking rump shot for our herd in the Spring and summertime.
    If it were straight liquid and came on rapidly, then it is a cause for concern. Definitely asks for the situation to be looked at.

I have great news! Well, I think it is great..lol
    We just had appraisals done.
    Sandy is a 6 year old on her fifth lactation. She has been appraised five times, I believe. Last lactation she was bumped up to an 84 at the beginning. Then was bumped to an 87 a month before going dry. She just got bumped again to an 88! That's three times in a year and a half!
    She also is the dam to the intact bull calf we are raising as a potential clean up bull. She pretty *and* milks like crazy.

If ya like Brindle.....
    [​IMG]

Gabrielle may calve early yet. She was wih a very small portion of the herd this morning and has that look about her.

14. Up North

Roseanna - GREAT PICTURE! When I bought my Ayrshire herd there was 1 old Brindle cow looked much like your Space Cadet Toby, except she had Appaloosa speckling here and there. Research showed that the Brindle genetics were used in Foundation stock of Ayrshire, Milking Shorthorn, and the Scandanavian Red breeds. They all have some Genetics in common if you go back far enough. Some of my Ayrshires look more like MS. One of the Ayrshire bulls I am currently using SWEDMARK from Select Sires, has a Swedish Red in his Pedigree. He throws some FANCY heifers.

Good thing you live so far from us, or Heather would be over there to see your "DESIGNER SERIES" colorful cows, LOL...cheers.

PS - You can name the next one STREUSEL, LOL.

15. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

Its always exciting to see your first AI calf born. Good luck.

16. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

just curious if it was something I needed to be concerned about
    Norma didn't start having a messy rear until she started eating all grass and no hay
    it's just a little looser than the hay stool

17. ozark_jewels

M& M calved yesterday with a BULL of course..... :rolleyes: He is very handsome and chunky. M&M had no problems at all and is an excellent mother. I don't want to hog Roseanna's thread so I'll post some pics on a different one. :)