Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted some summer (yellow) squash this spring and it now has little squash 4 to 6 inches long.

I was surprised to see squash in one bed that is half yellow and half green. I feared that it was some kind of cross pollination. Here is a photo:

But I researched it a bit and see that there is a variety called "zephyr" that looks like mine. I know I didn't buy zephyr squash seeds, and I wonder how the seeds got in the little packet of summer squash that I bought at Walmart.

Zephyr squash

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I planted some summer (yellow) squash this spring and it now has little squash 4 to 6 inches long.

I was surprised to see squash in one bed that is half yellow and half green. I feared that it was some kind of cross pollination. Here is a photo:
View attachment 97032

But I researched it a bit and see that there is a variety called "zephyr" that looks like mine. I know I didn't buy zephyr squash seeds, and I wonder how the seeds got in the little packet of summer squash that I bought at Walmart.

Zephyr squash
Did you plant Burpee's pic n pic hybrid?
I got one last year, and another this year from those Burpee seeds. I tried contacting Burpee about it twice and got a canned "thanks for your feedback" message in response, nothing that actually addressed the issue. I even sent them pictures.
I love zephyr squash, but at over $4 for a small pack of Burpee seeds, I fully expect to get what I pay for! I am using the rest of my Burpee seeds and boycotting them because of their prices and because their seeds aren't what they are supposed to be.

At any rate, the small squash from my plants are two-toned but it becomes much less apparent as the squash get larger.

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
Zephyr is a cross between three O. P. Pepo species squashes(any variety of Pepo species will cross-pollinate another Pepo). But because the first cross,as the article says, would look strange in the patch, it would be discarded----but if it was an intended cross, it would be planted next year to combine it and yet another squash in order to get its seed. In other words, making a Zephyr is much more deliberate than accidental.

My guess: somebody at the wholesale packaging factory in Viet Nam ran a lot of pure hybrid Zephrs through the packging machine, then got a sack of O.P. summer yellows and ran them through. Since they were WalMart packs, he swept up the floor to finish the weight of the last pkt......to be thrifty...............and you got it.
Peffley: Zephyr squash - half-yellow, half-green - result of clever breeding - Opinion - Lubbock Avalanche-Journal - Lubbock, TX (lubbockonline.com)

Pick 'em at four inches, slice 'em, sautee in butter, dust with Parmesan and Oregano.....hog heaven.

:)

geo

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Zephyr is a cross between three O. P. Pepo species squashes(any variety of Pepo species will cross-pollinate another Pepo). But because the first cross,as the article says, would look strange in the patch, it would be discarded----but if it was an intended cross, it would be planted next year to combine it and yet another squash in order to get its seed. In other words, making a Zephyr is much more deliberate than accidental.

My guess: somebody at the wholesale packaging factory in Viet Nam ran a lot of pure hybrid Zephrs through the packging machine, then got a sack of O.P. summer yellows and ran them through. Since they were WalMart packs, he swept up the floor to finish the weight of the last pkt......to be thrifty...............and you got it.
Peffley: Zephyr squash - half-yellow, half-green - result of clever breeding - Opinion - Lubbock Avalanche-Journal - Lubbock, TX (lubbockonline.com)

Pick 'em at four inches, slice 'em, sautee in butter, dust with Parmesan and Oregano.....hog heaven.

:)

geo
I've grown zephyr squash and these would be more like a half or quarter breed zephyr. The seed package says it is a yellow crookneck hybrid squash, but only a very few of the plants from this seed showed any zephyr qualities. I guess there might be some zephyr in Burpee's breeding background for this hybrid but it only shows up once in awhile and is certainly not the yellow squash advertised. I would have been satisfied if Burpee had told me this is normal instead of simply brushing my inquiries off. The poor customer service alone is enough to turn me off to their products.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you plant Burpee's pic n pic hybrid?
Thanks everybody for the insight.

Love the comment about the Walmart seeds being swept off the floor @geo in mi.

I am pretty sure it was Burpee seeds from Walmart.

I failed to keep the empty package.

But I always write the variety of seeds that I plant on those little white plastic markers that stick in the ground using an indelible felt tip pen. And in a few weeks all of my writing is washed away. I need to find a better way of labeling what I plant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts