Two Problems

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JAS, Jun 8, 2004.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

First problem:
    We just gave our goats their CD&T, dewormed and poured them for lice. One of our Spanish does is starting to lose her fur? She never did have nice fur, but this started about one week after the meds. The top area above her front legs is the worst. If it was mites wouldn't the pour taken care of that? I have another doe that is separated that has a spot were the fur is starting fall out too? Could this be a reaction to the pour?

Second problem:
    I have a doe that is mostly Angora. She kidded on April 22--twin bucklings. She still looks pregnant, her belly sticks out on both sides. She does not act sick at all. The vet called it a hay belly, and did not seem concerned. She is the top chow hound, but it just doesn't look right?

Thanks.

2. Don't know that I can answer either question, but I've had some does that always look pregnant, and others that don't look bred when they kid. When one of my does lost hair above the hooves, and the skin became extremely irritated, I cleared up the problem by spraying 10% iodine on it daily. Don't know what caused it, but the iodine cleared it up.
    mary

3. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

I can only tell of my similar experiences. When my goats look like they are losing an extra amount of hair, I think two things....shedding due to heat or lack of selinium. Thus, I clip their hair closely so as to help them stay cool, wash them well and give them an injection of Bo-Se. This works in my herd.

One other situation occurs, though not frequently. Sometimes one will get a rather sticky layer over a given area...a type of fungus. I wash it well with a weak mixture of water and Udder Wash (has a little Iodine in it). Then I apply a good layer of "Nitrofurazone Antibacterial Wound Dressing" (comes in a 16 oz. jar), rubbing it in well. This fixes them right up.

As for the other problem, i.e. large bellies. This often occurs after delivery in that it takes a little time for the goat's body to readjust. However, if it lasts any length of time that concerns me, I do 3 things. First, I cut that doe's grain ration in half for a few days, make sure Baking Soda is fresh and easily obtainable, treat the "entire" herd for cocci (even though they might not be scouring at the time). If the pasture has more seed heads than usual, I suspect this might be the culprit; so, I either place them in a different pasture or harvest that hay, keeping them out of the pasture about 7 days. (A note about this pasture: If this is Fescue 31, beward of the endophytes. Not only have I discovered it causes bloaty looking goats; but I have, also, learned it puts knots in udders. The knots will eventually go away if you take them off that lousy fescue 31; but, it might take a couple of years for this to occur.)

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

After a round of penicillin for mastitis I have a doe that is shedding in some places, looks like cradle cap on her skin....like a skin yeast infection...would athletes foot cream work? Or bag balm? She isnt scratching and is feeling much better and gaining wt back! Also still milking on the non affected side. Any thoughts?

5. Cheri

Cheri Member

Use an anti-fungal on the spots were they are loosing hair. It could be ring worm, especially if you have recently brought in a new doe or buck. You can use the anti-fungal shampoo for horses and I would also use some blue coat. If you can flake of the skin (sort of like picking off a scab :eek: )it is probably ring worm. Ring worm is extremely contagious and will spread all over their body and through out the herd if not stopped.