two down, three to go

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jackie c, Nov 2, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Well got two pigs slaughtered yesterday, and it went ok. We shot them, then bled, scrubbed them down. We used burlap bags draped over one side, then poured boiling hot water over the bulap.Then scraped. Worked great! Was alot easier than I thought. Hope the next three are as easy! :yeeha:
    The temps are about 29 to 45, highs and lows. How long should I let them hang?
    Oh boy, I'm really looking forward to some nice slow cooked ribs,yumm :D

2. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

Sounds great! Don't know what athers may say, but I think that a good chill is the desire, I think one night would do. But I am curious how others do this as well. Glad your scalding went well!

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Excellent news Jackie! :) Being in Florida we don't have the option to leave out overnight so I put them in the fridge for three days. If they are too big they are cut and packaged first. Don't think a carcass should be hanging outside for three days though- no telling what it will attract. I've read in the farmer's bulletin to leave it out one night whole and then cut. Never tried that though.

4. jackie c

Well got two more down, only one left. Would've done all three but ran out of propane. I've let the first two hang for three days, and now they're going to butcher. After all is said and done, next year they're going to the abbitior. The cost is working out to be the same, with lot less work. But hey, it was a learning experience!

Tango, I have very good watch dogs, they don't touch the meat and keep any others with of thoughts of 'an easy meal' at bay!

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

When I've needed to chill a hog quickly I've filled a plactic lined barrel with ice and water and let soak. It chills quickly and draws more of the blood out.
    I like to do this on large hogs that won't fit in my cooler. (especially when the weather is warm).

6. jackie c

Well, all hogs went to heaven. They had a great life, good food, fresh air, real ground too root in, big muck puddles to wallow in. Even got to go for an occasional walk (escape) now and then.
    They had it much better than those poor buggers in the grocery stores!
    After my first year with pigs I've learned tons! I know how to improve next year, and will definately do this again. I really enjoyed raising them, good times and bad.
    The new garden bed they have provided me with, will be the easiest to prepare in the spring and probably the most productive. I will have a full belly of delectible pork till the next batch. Yes, I admit it, I'm hooked on pigs. :eek:

Thank you all for helping me along with these guys this year, your help has been invaluable! :worship:

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I vacuum package the meat as roasts, then let it sit in the fridge for a week prior to freezing or cooking