Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i did the deed today, i finnally had the time and energy to butcher, a friend of mine at work wanted to get some rabbit meat from me when she found out i had them, so that gave me the excuse to do what has been needing to be done in a LONG TIME<

i did a doe and a buck today, they were SOOO easy to skin and butcher, BUT the only probem i had is the doe had some bruising in the shoulder, i did the broomstick method and decapitated them as soon as i could, i cleaned out as much of the clotting as i could, will this harm the meat??

·
Registered
537 Posts
We are very fussy about any blood left in any meat that we butcher but if you cleaned it thoroughly then it is mainly a judgment call. I usually just cut the bruised bits out if I can so I can't really say if the meat tastes any different from the unbruised stuff.
If in doubt cut it out and give it to the dog or cat. That's just me.

Jeanette
Hondo, TX

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I also butchered one yesterday that should have been done a while ago and there are four more to do. Why only one, you ask? Well....

I was already cheesed off with a couple of other things that happened yesterday morning so when I started I was already in a bad mood. Then, apparently the pellet gun doesn't work so well in the cold. Let's just say it took two shots because when I realized the cold gun didn't fire too well I was too far away from the hammer and it was quicker to reload then go for the hammer. Now I'm mad! Then the feet slipped out of the little loops I had it hung up with and it fell into the pan that I was bleeding it out into and got all covered in blood. Now I'm steaming! Then, when I was slitting the skin on the belly, I accidentally cut the belly too and the guts fell out while I was trying to finish the rest of the skinning. Now I"m white hot angry! Then the bladder broke.....

Anyway, it's now vacuum packed in the freezer, feet and tail in a jar of alcohol and the pelt is in a bucket of salt water.

Lesson #1: Wear hammer hanger on belt.
Lesson #2: Keep the gun in the house until ready to use.
and
Lesson #3: NEVER, NEVER start butchering when I"m already steaming about something else!

Sorry if I hijacked your thread....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts