two coinceding questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dee, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

First, I had a kid that was choking on some food. She was throwing up and foaming. I saw it once before so I knew what was happening, just couldn't remember what was suggested for treatment....

So, I came in to search for a post I recently saw and I CAN NEVER FIND ANYTHING WHEN I SEARCH!! When I searched, I will get anything that ever mentioned "foaming" "from" "mouth". Do you realize how many posts have at least one of those words in it?

Can anyone give me a hint? How about doing a search and letting me know what you did to find it? I still need to know if I should do any follow-up, especially if she breath in the foam.

I got in touch with my breeder and she suggested that the kid may be having an allergic reaction and give Epi and Benedryl. She wasn't really having trouble breathing (was able to run away from me without any problem) Husband came and helped. I rubbed throat better, he rubbed stomach (oh, by the way, holding her in the air by her back legs didn't do anything except get her more upset) I stuck my finger in her mouth to make sure nothing was near the top. We pushed some baking soda water in her mouth with a syringe which made her throw up again but I think that was what did it. She tried to nurse Mom (mom didn't cooperate though) and ate some more grain. I gave her a little Benedryl just in case and left a slightly sleepy baby.

Note to self. Get liquid Benedryl for first aide kit since it is hard to pop and squeeze liquicaps.

2. Goatsandsheep

Goatsandsheep Well-Known Member Supporter

If she was eating grain, she probably just ate to fast and choke on the grain.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

if it's a young kid, it's still learning everything. I know what you're talking about, as my two doelings did it too. Young kids do it also when they learn to chew thier cud. It's kindof funny when you know it isn't usually a problem, lol