two bucks

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 40 does that need bred. And two boer bucks. At least half the does are going to be bred to the old buck. There are to many does to breed individually, plus my wife and I work off the farm, so individually breeding would be difficult. I can't just let the bucks run because the old one has some daughjters running in the herd. I want to use him though for some dairy does and smaller boer does, because he is a smaller buck.
    How do you guys manage multiple bucks?

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I have 3 bucks. I have 3 different pens to put them in when breeding starts. Then I can put whatever does I want with whatever buck I want them bred too & let them go. :) Is there a way to split your pen in 2 so you can split the does up & put them with the buck you want them to be bred too?

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Well, you've already got the separate pen for the bucks where they are now... Put the 1/2 of the herd in that pen with the younger buck, and put the older buck in the doe's pen... Thats what I do!

4. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

Yep, you've got to have multiple pens/pastures. I just moved mine around yesterday so I could get the right buck with the does I want bred. I've got 6 different pens and 8 boxstalls, so it's kind of a juggling act to get them sperated and where they need to be.
    I put the last of the unregistered does in with the buck yesterday, so any boer cross bucks from this breeding will be just in time for Easter sales.

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We have five bucks, but only three being used right now.
    Each buck has their own breeding pen. What I am trying this year is to put the does in overnight with their buck and his harem. During the day they are let out to browse on 80 acres. Hopefully we'll reach my goal of a 200% kidding rate. Not too likely due to all the first freshening yearlings we will be having, but worth a shot.
    Before yesterday I only had one marking harness, so I just kept an eye out for heats when the does were waiting to come in in the evening. The buck pens are within or right beside the does pens.
    Yesterday each of my three lads got a marking harness with a different colored crayon. Green for William (Boer/Saanen), Blue for Bo (Boer) and Orange for Rudy (Nubian). Goliath (Nubian/Boer) will have Red when he is up for the task.
    I visit the goat pen every morning after work. if a doe was in heat she would usually be glued to the buck pen and the bucks would be screaming. Fairly simple to put her in, let her be bred a couple of times and then remove her. With the harnesses I can leave the does in each night and I will be able to tell on the silent heat does if they've been bred.
    Here is a good example of how wonderful the harnesses are;
    [​IMG]
    This is Ghiradelli (Della for short). She was put in William's pen last night for breeding (the white buck with scurs behind Rudy). Notice the green?
    Well William just would not stop slamming the panel between he and Rudy (the buck next to Della). He snapped the strings that held it. Della slipped into Rudy's pen. She really wanted Rudy to breed her, not William. So she was bred by Rudy (notice the orange). You can see Hershey Kiss poking his head through where the strings snapped.
    Not too bad because it will be easy to tell the kids apart.
    When a doe has been in a true heat, that it what their rump looks like with the marking harnesses. You may see a couple of does with some color, but if they weren't in heat they won't be coated in it and the hair won't be standing up. She allowed the males to mount her quite a few times.

Here is Bo with his blue allll over him. He also bred a doe last night and she was coated in blue.
    [​IMG]

I get my due dates and I don't have to forfeit them getting fresh browse and cleaning up the fields.
    In about a month we will probably start dry lotting them in preparation for winter.

I *Love* marking harnesses! (when they fit the buck)
    :clap:

6. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am keeping my bucks in the barn right now. I probably could make some pens out side for them, but I am hoping to breed at least 5 of them this month to get the easter kids. I would like to breed the rest as soon as possible. I don't want to take the does off pasture, because its free feed.
    I thought about jut watching them for heats and throwing them in with the bucks, but I haven't seen any go into heat yet. Not sure if its because they can't see a buck. If I put them in with the buck will that stimulate a heat? I have heard people using the buck effect to sincronize heats.

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Mine don't need to see a buck, they just need to smell a buck. They would go into heat anyway, but smelling the buck makes them go into raging heat. A heat cycle that you just can't miss....flagging tails, riding other does, calling the buck, even that 'worried" expression on the face they get.

8. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

honestly if you have good stock its not bad to breed father to daughter, infact its an improvment in most cases as is solidifys the good genes and makes it easyer to cull the bad.

also with that many does you can feasibly turn both bucks out with the does and they will be fine, especially if they are used to each other in the same pen now,

i got my first buck from a local farmer who kept all her goats togather all the time and she had Four bucks running with about 150 does, she had two big Nubian bucks and Two Boer bucks, they all got along and each buck had his own part of the pasture for the most part and the does chose who they went to.

obviously this is not the BEST method but if your hard up for options and want to use both bucks and dont care about Registration Papers it works great, and all the does will be bred ASAP.

9. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Rob30, I'm an extremely small operation but have two adult bucks that I use for breeding. What I do is each morning or evening I separate my dairy does and boer does into two different 1/4 acre holding pastures. The younger does who will be bred later in the year are penned inside the barn and out of the way, plus this is a good chance to feed them extra grains in an effort to reach breeding weights. Once everyone is where they belong I take the nubian buck to the dairy does and the boer buck to the boers. If nothing positive is happening within 15 minutes the boys are leashed and put back in their pen until evening. Two bred yesterday, eight more to go!!!!
    Tennessee John

10. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year the bucks (we had four we used last year) were kept out of sight and smell of the does until early August. At that point, all the does were sorted into breeding pens (and the young does went to another barn to age a bit first). The bucks were put into their pens and 5 months later 16 of the does kidded in a two week period, with most kidding 5-10 days after being exposed to the bucks). Almost all the does I wanted bred. Two aborted a few months later and were rebred and one doe just doesn't seem to cycle before October.
    We kidded out 27 does this past Jan-June.
    Planning on 53 does this Dec-April (goal anyways).
    If you put the bucks in they might short cycle within 5 days. Depending on how far away the bucks have been.

11. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year we put Apollo in with his girls Sept. 1st. Sept 6th 3 does were bred, Sept 7th, 4 does, and Sept 8th and 9th 4 more girls. (We used a harness so I could mark the calendar). Last doe was bred Sept 15th. I would say that definitely proximity to the buck helps the does go into heat!

Also, this year, we have watched Donegal "sing" his girls into heat. He just keeps wooing them until they come into heat, and then he breeds them.
    So far we noticed that Boer bucks are much more polite and considerate than the "wham bam thank you ma'am " Dairy bucks!

Speaking of Dairy, I'd love to get my Saanens in heat so easily...but we don't want them to smell like buck. is this when you guys use lutelyse?

Camille