Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Also known as ------
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a small homestead (13 irrigated acres) rented for the same price as an apartment in the same area. It has a barn shop and house that is roughly 1600 ft2 the only hitch was it is primarily wood heat, me loving fires thought of it as a benefit we also have a few cord laying around the place several LARGE dead trees on the property. My second score is the one with the question attached. I've got access to all of the free corn i can haul in three days, i'll only haul ears off but i worry about mold and then about digestibility. Can i run ears through a hammer mill? Shucks ON? I'll be feeding it to my pigs and whatever else i bring home. Any ideas on how to store/process this feed for best utilization?

thanks

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Old style snow fence in a circle. Husk that corn. It will dry down better.
You could probably take it from the field in the husk to save time but if you want to store it, it has to be husked.
Is the corn in dent? If not you'll have problems no matter what you do, unless you run it through a chipper shredder and bag it for corn silage. Still pretty early for ripe corn around here I'd be leery about the ability to store it as whole corn without it rotting.

·
Joyce
371 Posts
Around here you can store grain at the mills and then draw on it as you need. There is a fee and shrinkage occurs, but it is a way to have good grain to feed your horses or whatever.And it would be shelled. Maybe, also you might consider a corn stove. They are pretty nice and another way to use your corn. Joyce

·
Also known as ------
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't pick it until after halloween so it should be pretty dried out. I guess i could run it through a chipper, cob and all? Just set up the chipper on a big tarp and go to town? I'll keep my eye out for some barrels. Looks like the pigs and chickens won't starve this winter. Could i burn whole ears in a wood stove? Is it better than wood? I've never toyed with the idea of burning corn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.