Twins

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Yankee1, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

I got home last night to find twins one buck and one doe. this is the does first freshining and she had them all clean when i got to see them. the mom milk in the right udder is reddish and the left looks fine. I milked the right udder down, should I be worried about this or is it normal. This is my first freshining also.
    here are some pics. http://eweis.photosite.com/Kids/

2. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

Last year my only milking doe's right side of her udder turned red....and it turned out to be mastitis. I would not be too concerned unless it started to be hot to the touch and she did not like you to milk her...which is what happend to my goat. :rolleyes: I hope that is not the case for you though....mastitis is NOT fun :no:

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I had same problems....be sure to keep it milked out and clean several times aday. The kids may not beable to nurse from that side if it hurts she'll kick and the teat will get hard and they wont be able to suck. Hopefully the kids will help you manage this but definately keep a very close eye on it....if it gets worse you can purchase "Today" at feed store to treat it.

Congrats!

4. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

The teat doesnt seem sensitive to her. It was the first time she was ever milked and the first time i ever milked. I didn't need a stand she just let me milk her as she chewed on my collar.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

That sounds promising! If you have some bag balm use it liberally on her..really massage her udder with it.