Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told myself that I would never try this again and I would just collect one and bottle feed it after the first day . There have been too many dismal failures of a cow trying to raise twins. None of them have ended in fatalities, just too much treatment and chasing down the inevitable dumba$ calf that had mange mites or was malnourished that wouldn't come when its mama called.

Anyway, this old girl seems to be running a tight ship so far:
Twins.jpg

She called them up out of the trees to nurse and they just hot footed right over. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking good, how old are they? And what is all of that green stuff growing up out of the ground? Everything is still dry and brown around here.
They are about 4 days old in that photo. We usually have small calves. These were born about 50% larger than our average single birth.

All that green grass, believe it or not, is still mostly ryegrass, which is usually dead or dying by the first week of June here. That field was mowed the first week of May to get rid of the ryegrass that had seeded out, so the warm season grass could get more sunlight. But, it has been unseasonably wet and a few weeks of cool weather made that mowed ryegrass regrow.

Hope you guys get some rain soon.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
When one of our cows has twins we put the mom and both babies up together. (I always try for a calving season close to the home barn) This allows her to bond with both calves. It also helps her learn to count to two. What I want to see is the mom aware of both calves but also both calves strongly connected to their mom and able to keep up. we have an older cow who has had several sets of twins that she has done very well with.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know what genders they are/ if you'll have any freemartins?
They are both female. It wouldn't matter to me either way. I am in the steady state mode on cattle numbers. No replacement heifers in the near future around here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts