Twins picture

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Just a quick picture of a set of Rideau Suffolk twins (I keep forgettign we have a black suffolk ram! :rolleyes: ) they are a little dense when it comes to nursing but they'll catch on.
    [​IMG]

2. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

They are real cute ! Is it usual to have one with the black markings on the head and feet , and the other not?

3. kit

kit Well-Known Member

Ross, why do you put lamb coats on the babies? You don't find that the ewes don't want the lambs after wearing a coat? I have never used them on our lambs and we lamb out 100 head right now in the coldest part of the year. Just curious as to what can you tell me???? Thanks!

4. Ross

These two are pretty slow at nursing so they chill fast. As long as the jackets are clean the mums have never rejected a lamb just for that. I find the Rideau crosses can be a little wimpy, some breeds like the Hamps we had or Cheviots probably never had a jacket. Rideau lambs can be as small as 3 pounds at birth, the two pictured are probably just over 4, so thats not much to tackle cold weather.

5. Ross

Country Fried the black one has a white jacket on, it is mostly black with just a dash of white on its head! Yeah it is pretty normal to get mixed colours like this, although we just has 2 jet black twins this evening. Its a recessive colour for Rideaus, our black Suffolk is bringing out more coloured lambs so it will be interesting to see if there is enough quality in the wool for spinning. Ann mostly wants it for felting and skins anyhow, and I do like the Suffolk crosses as terminal lambs with Rideaus. I'll be stuck with a few ewes I just know it.

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

What cuties! 3 to 4 lbs? And I thought our little girl at 6 lbs was small last year!

A friend of mine had several Dorsets a couple months back that weighed an average of 12, even twinning. And one little ram who was 20!!! (His twin sis was still 12, can you imagine?)

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

twenty pounds?!?!? ouch!! the rideaus are somewhat small at birth but catch up quick. trips and quads are about the same size . some of the cross breds are larger than that but no where near twenty pounds and twelve pounds . how much does the ram and ewe weigh now?