Twins more than once?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Mc's Farm, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Mc's Farm

Mc's Farm Well-Known Member

"Bitsy", Angus/Brahma cross had twins last year. She was big last year, but some of our cattle are like that. Sure surprised me when she had them, she was a excellent momma. She's big again this year & just wondering of her chances of having twins again.

This was our 1st set of twins, the last set born was to my grandpa's cow about 40 years ago.

:yeeha: "The Cow Whisperer"

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I have a friend who breeds Angus and one of her cows has thrown twins twice - and a different bull was used in each case. I have no idea on the genetics surrounding twins (if they come into play at all) but it would seem that your cow has at least a 50/50 chance of throwing them again.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe it is said to run in families. It has to do with how they cycle and how many eggs they release for each heat, etc. etc.

The numbers of multiples in cattle has been increasing, but if you consider how often we turn to hormones to get them to cycle when we want it isn't too suprising their bodies are confused. :rolleyes:

We have a set of twin heifers (no drugs involved there) that are both on their second pregnancies. I am interested in whether they will ahev twins or not. Both settled to AI the first time but settled to a bull this time. I wonder if that ahs any affect as well. Their dam settled to a bull and had twins. She is due again in July..keeping an eye out to see if she will have twins again.

I don't know how many studies have been done but I find it fascinating. :)

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The USDA has a research cow herd that throws mostly twins. I read sometime back about the difficulties associated with the twinning but evenso they were averaging approximately 120 percent living offspring.