twins and milk!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by shorty'smom, Feb 22, 2005.

1. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

That Saanen doe (Snowflake) freshened today with twin doelings. When I found her with them one or both of them had already emptied half her udder. I put her up on the stand and milked out the rest. she had a quart on just one side! Now this is more like it. She didn't really fight me too much either. She just wanted her babies.

I have a question though. The milk seemed more like milk, thin and white. Does it still have coostrum in it? Enough for the twins? I've got it in a bottle. They wouldn't take it a while ago so I'll give them an hour or so and try again. They'll be hungry. I have instant colostrum. should I mix up some with her milk and feed it to them, just to be sure?

2. chas

chas Well-Known Member

She should have some colostrum for up to three days.Freeze what you have next year maybe you will need it!
    I have given it to many people that had young ones born and no milk,lost the mother or whatever.Pups, kittens calves one foal and one human!!!!!!!!!!
    They now sell it for anti aging!!I don't know if the instant was processed at high temperature killing the good bugs that make natural antibiotics?Natural would be better I would think.
    Good luck
    Chas

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

When you say "that's more like it" are you referring to the amounts you have been from the other does? You havent been milking the saanen before she kidded? :)

4. shorty'smom

LOL. Yes, I refer to the amounts of milk I've been getting from the other does. (she sheepishly remarks) If snowflake has a quart in each half it does make one wonder how much the larger, older doe (Saana) really does have. Her udder is twice the size when it's full of milk. It must be all milk too,because she shrinks down to look like a deflated balloon when the kids are done with her. I have her two daughters who were first fresheners this time. I didn't intend for them to be bred so young, but they are proof that young bucks are quite fertile. Those two younsters have been horrible mothers, but I'll give them another chance later. Their mother is an excellent mom who has even nursed kids who weren't hers before.

5. shorty'smom

So there is still colostrum in the milk, even if it isn't the thick syrupy looking stuff that somes out of most of my does at first? I always give each teat a squeeze on all my does when they first have their kids to be sure there aren't any blockages, even if I don't plan to milk them. My dh didn't know I did this when I was gone to visit family one day when 3 does kidded. We ended up having a struggle with that older Nubian whose bag is so scarred she had no milk. That was a nightmare.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Nubian milk and Sanaan milk have different butterfat contents....Nubians give richer milk with less volume...Sanaans have more volume (up to 2 gal a day sometimes) but less butterfat.....like a jersey cow and a hlstein cow

Congrats!

7. shorty'smom

Oh. So if the mister is on a low cholesterol diet (doctor threatens him) he should drink the Saanen milk, yes?

8. shorty'smom

Poor Saana, her hoarde of children attack her en masse. They're just about weaning size now. She sits down to keep them away, but one of them tries to burrow under her anyway. She looks like I used to feel as a harried mom of 3 children. It may be a blessing to her to just be milked and eat meals in peace. lol