Twin Pen & Nursing Ewe

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by junejoe, Mar 15, 2005.

1. junejoe

junejoe New Member

Is it OK to give Twin Pen Longacting to a Nursing EWE? She is not doing well Since Triplets yesterday. Maybe Mastitus? Not eating hay Ok on grain. Lays on side alot and sometimes can not get up, just as she did when pregnant. Udder is huge at least 2 gallon size and Back of Udder is very firm, side have softened some since birth. The smallest I am Tube Feeding. Udders are very low to ground and this baby has not found it yet.

2. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

Joe, did she pass the afterbirth? Is she running a temp? I would give the anti-biotic if it were my ewe, plus a ton of electrolyte (force-fed) and pro-biotic to keep her rumen working. The next step in my experience is she will also stop eating grain too.... I know Ross suggests giving coffee as well. The electrolytes help them want to drink more, which is what she probably needs. Good luck!!!!!

3. junejoe

junejoe New Member

Thank you for your quik reply.
    She did pass the afterbirth. I had already given her some Kick Start mixed in her feed this evening. Temp was 104. I gave her the Twin pen. We'll see how she does. The tiny baby started jumping around for the first time tonight. Yea! I have gotten 250 ML of mother's colustrum down her so plan to start with replacer next feeding.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

With such a high temp and depressed attitude I'd ask my vet about using a steriod antiinflamitory or even just sheep dosed asprin (its around 10-12 regular strength human pills) The huge udder may be a sign of OPP or it may not be, do try to milk her out almost completely. Another thought is milk fever (calcium deficency) give the ewe a shot of vit AD and look for symptoms of cal def. difficulty swallowing, splayed back legs (frog style) ummmm Ok I was up until 2am with a bloaty lamb so my brain won't function, maybe someone can add to the list?

5. len

len Well-Known Member

get Glycol P from vet, 60 cc orally 3 times a day

6. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

I agree, electrolytes are vital. Let us know how she's doing!

7. junejoe

junejoe New Member

Two shots of Twin pen, several doses of electrolites and she's doing great. It's been a week but still keeping my eye on her. No more tube feeding the littlest all 3 babies are thriving. Thanks for your help.