Twin Bucks premature

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mpillow, Apr 15, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I finally got some babies :rolleyes:

Premature twin bucklings from my Toggy/Alpine (Nubian Dad). Mom freshened with no milk :no: :no:
    Good thing I had some frzn.....no colostrum though....hoping another doe will pop soon and I can steal a little for them.
    Still trying to stimulate mom to see if she'll produce.

They weigh almost 3# and a little over 4# . Her babies are usually 7#. I thought she would be the last to kid because she hadnt uddered up.....

So I am bottle feeding bucklings.....ridiculous!

I was up every two hrs to feed the little buggers and check barn for more babies because it got down to 20's last night.

Lets all hope and pray the rest are girls at full term and moms have milk.

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

my best to you. Get some sleep between feedings. All else can wait.

Keep us posted!

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

are you sure on her breeding date?
    they could just be smaller than avg kids
    are you stimulating moms udder to produce?
    did she eat the afterbirth ? or did you clean it up ?

those of you who read my posts im very into letting nature take care when possible ..
    if she ate the afterbirth its full of oxytocin , whihc stimulates the milk ,even in a pre term birth
    if she didnt then you need to help her out, and since youre already bottle feeding this might be too much for you, but , its what i would do , i assume the babies arei n the barn , every time you go out to feed them , spend a few seconds on thier mothers udder too, just a tiny handfull of grain (measure o ut her full ration , and feed from her measured dosage)but get her producing. then you wont lose her whole lactation
    the kids, if youre cautious should be fine wihtout the colocstrum, since they are buck kids, should they prove to be unthrifty at least youre not out does...

just my thoughts
    Beth

4. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Oxytocin should also be available from your vet.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

5. mpillow

She did clean them up and I let one of them try to suckle but nothing....I tried milking her etc....she did eat her afterbirth so I'm hoping she'll come into her milk

The babies are in the kitchen :rolleyes: because my barn has no power and it was in the 20's last night.

She has always been my most independent baby raiser so I wasnt expecting this at all. She has always bagged up nicely prior to kidding in her past breedings.

The little ones are doing well so far and I am headed to the barn to get their mom up on the milk stand for a little grain and stimulation.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I would get some store bought powdered colastrum, their tummies close, to absorbing it really soon, and you are running out of time.
    hope you get some out of mom.

7. mpillow

These little guys are doing fine.....I did get some Bovine colostrum by day 2 but mom isnt going to come into milk...at least not yet....I wormed her, gave her extra vitamins and probiotics. My other girls havent kidded yet....good thing this weekend I had to watch the neighbors 4 foster-children (ages 8,7,4,3yo) on top of my own 3 and 9 yo and bottle feeding those babies and driving back and forth to feed and check on the big goats. Hubby had gone up North to cut wood.

A LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG weekend. I need a nap and a pot of coffee in that order!

8. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I had a doe miscarrie and had no udder but I milked her and she gave just a little colostrum then a little milk. I decided to give up and let her dry up but I sold her and the new owner want's to have her brought into milk if I can. I am milking her three times a day. she has milk now. A little more each day. I hope she does get a good udder on her because she is soooo easy to milk.
    The milk is down into the teets good. I get a good strong stream when I milk her. It just doesn't last long. :) I was worried I would feed her too much grain too fast but no fear. She eats till I get her milked and then just stops eating. She is ready to go. I have her up to a pound of grain mixed with BOSS and redcell and manna E yeast. (one tsp per day). I figure with her system she will eat more grain as she has more milk because it will take me longer to milk her. :)