Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So OK, I was watching an Animal Planet show on TV last night and saw just part of a segment about pigs in Africa. I heard them say the pigs were the size of rabbits [now maybe they ment the babes] The shots I saw were what I thought to be of a pig that looked to be the size of a Beagle Hound and shaped like a regular American Pig. The shape was what really interested me, a regular pig shape and really small. The sow had 10 babies with her.
Wouldn't it be be cool to have miniature pigs, not Pot Belly Pigs. Was I seeing things or are there really "little pigs" out there?????????????

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think Animal Planet was incorrect by siting Africa as the habitat for these pigs. There is a wild species of swine in India that are classified as a pygmy species. These swine are undomesticated and live in the forest floor and heavy grass growth in protected India forrests and wetlands. They are a unique species but no I do not think it would be cool to have minature pigs. As bbbuddy stated, what is wrong with pot bellied pigs? Honestly, nothing, and it should stay that way. Pot bellied pigs are now riddled with health issues because of the fad that intigrated them into the American pop culture. People do not realize the nature of pig being as they rarely get past the cute snout and curly tail before they buy it, house it, and realize it is an intelligent animal, that LOVES to eat things, and has a naturally destructive nature. Responsible pig owners know this, but too many pigs end up in the hands of novelty owners, that cannot manage their behavior or needs. Pot Bellied pigs are unfortunately a domestic breeds therefore have to put up with the problems of humans, their expanding girths are showing the latest trend of human problems put onto them. So to extract a wild, undomesticated swine from a foreign country for the novelty of it......well...it's already been done. No need to duplicate efforts. If it hasn't been done in that critters home country, no need to do it elsewhere.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Roasters? Well that's what my pot belly pigs are for!
In fact we just had another litter born this morning - 10 born, 9 still alive, YUM!

That brings us up to 24. I traded several for a couple of beautiful Nubian goats.

I need to take some to the local swap meet, maybe I can find others who want to raise nice small meat pigs around here!

I have some terrific pork in the freezer, too :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like potbelly pigs---I have some.
I was just making the comment that a TRUE miniature, SAME SHAPE AND PORPORTION as the big ones, would be cool.
Nothing like being slammed, and I didn't even make a negative comment. All I said was---I would like to have a little pig.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bonnie,

No ill intentions from me, I was pointing out the negative aspects of aquiring a novelty breed, and that it's difficult to understand why people want to go bigger or smaller, when they already have both available to them. I found the particular species in India fascinating to learn about, but I also believe in not entertaining the idea (for me anyways) in aquiring things that are better left alone. No ill intentions, sorry it was taken that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts