TV series seeks families moving to remote homesteads

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JamesCM, Nov 2, 2005.

1. JamesCM

JamesCM Member

ARE YOU SELLING UP, LEAVING THE CITY, AND MOVING YOUR FAMILY TO A REMOTE HOMESTEAD IN THE AMERICAN WILDERNESS?

LEAVING THE DESK JOB TO PURSUE A DREAM OF SELF SUFFICIENCY IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS?

SEEKING A BACK-TO-BASICS LIFESTYLE IN A WILD OR OFF-THE-GRID REGION OF THE STATES?

DISCOVERY ARE MAKING A NEW SERIES AND ARE LOOKING FOR FAMILIES WHO ARE MOVING TO THE WILDERNESS TO START A NEW LIFE ON A HOMESTEAD.

Does this sound like you – or anyone you know?

For further information, please contact James at Ricochet Films on 011 44 207 251 6966 (UK) or e-mail: james.christiemiller@ricochet.co.uk or jamescm99@hotmail.com

Many thanks!

James Christie-Miller
    www.ricochet.co.uk

2. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I didn't see any adverts for this on the ricochet or Discovery websites. Seems kinda shady.

Please elaborate on this supposed show for us.

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I think it's legit as there's been a lot of discussion about this earlier this year.

You may want to search, or click on his name and find all his posts - it's all there in the past.

Angie

4. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I wonder if they'll have any takers. You wouldn't think homesteading type people would want their privacy violated or to be exposed like that on national TV. I sure wouldn't.

5. Lisa in WA

If people were really prepared to do this, I think validation from a TV show would be the last place they'd look to for the nudge to do this. We did it and the inspiration was our own. Encouragement came from magazines like Countryside, BackwoodsHome, etc. It just seems to me that homesteading types are not the type to be publicity hounds. We do this for a reason, and it isn't to be laid out on TV.

6. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

This message has been posted on this forum before, and now another appears as though nothing had been posted before, and no one has had any contact with them - which some have. I believe these are the same ones who chatted up Don and Carla and offered great and wonderful things and then almost immediately changed their attitude and decided they wouldn't be all that involved with this alleged show, but rather might maybe be "consultants" at some point. It all sounds might fishy to me! Y'all be careful out there.

MaryNY

7. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Hmm ... a TV producer who types in all caps, doesn't have a grasp on basic grammar, and uses a Hotmail address?!

Thanks, but I'll pass ... :p

9. Lisa in WA

I think Vera's post was right on the money (from the thread that AngieM2 referenced in the previous post):

"Hmmm... I watch the Discovery Channel a lot - as a matter of fact, most times I watch TV, it's something on Discovery. As interesting as many of the programs are, I'd say that 90% are ruled by entertainment rather than education. That's "modern entertainment", based on a recipe of danger, discord, difficulty, a fool we can laugh at, and basted with high-tech (or otherwise impressive) gear and a soothing-voiced narrator.

If I was asked to predict what a show like this will be turned into, I'd say ok, first of all, since they want people who have no experience whatsoever in homesteading, there'll be scenes of Mom ineffectually wrestling a big pig in the mud during a rain storm... Dad trying to help with the laundry and wrecking everybody's undies with lye (making men do women's work and vice versa is a hoot as entertainment goes)... the kids being total brats and whining for computer games... meals being barely edible, nights being mosquito-infested, horses taking off at least once, and possibly an outhouse emergency of some sort or another.

All participants, including the advisors/teachers, will be attractive and initially charming, with the less-polished look and bouts of personal discord appearing about an hour into the show. Individual interviews with the participants will reveal personal dislikes of others, complete with detailed criticism of others' actions or lack thereof.

Equipment will fail or turn out to be unsuitable for the job at hand, tempers will flare, kids will whine some more before everybody gathers around the wood cookstove in pretty bonnets to sing a song before a dinner of beans and bacon.

It's been done before... education doesn't sell, but entertainment does, so that's what it'll be. It takes an open mind to look past all the hoopla and the sales points to garner some education from TV shows of any kind these days, but if you're willing to sit through hours of "same old" to catch what's worth seeing, a program like this might suit you

One thing I'm certain they won't show is the self-reliant participants butchering a live animal for the kitchen. Murder and mayhem is quite acceptable on TV, but filming the killing of an animal would probably earn them a lawsuit for cruelty. It's really better from a business point of view to stick with bonnets, mud, and whining."

I think it would discourage more people from the homesteading lifestyle. And it should. If you are inspired to do this by a reality TV show, you really shouldn't be risking your family's well being in the first place.

10. CoachVince

CoachVince Member

Even PBS showed a few like this; "The (insert time period here) House";

Lots of lower class upper class issues, conveniences, slackers frustrating people with work ethics, etc. I would not go onto this expecting it would be ANY easier, I would in fact expect doing it to be MUCH HARDER if you know you are being recorded.

A real inspiration for many would probably be watching (or better yet, just living with) a family that have made homesteading work for them, on their own terms. Not for one day, and maybe not for a week; but for a month or a year. The satisfaction of being more self-reliant, of often not having to deal with commuter traffic, or the noisy neighbors upstairs/next door, etc.; the enjoyment after a day's work that all went into YOUR family and property, and not a bit to anyone else (OK, that's not completely healthy, but it can be true).

Some would decide they could never do it, but some would see that there really is a payoff. And that's why we have city mice and country mice.

And yes, if I was trying to homestead, I would try to raise some sort of small stock for food; be it poultry, goats, or even fish (and quite possibly larger creatures). And I would want them to be shown as receiving proper care, concern when injured, and a quick, humane death when they are killed.

That's why MY idea of a homesteading show wouldn't get many advertisers (especially not Perdue chicken, etc.).

11. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm thinking Lisa is right on the money with this one. I've seen the "The --- House" shows like Vince has. They seem to pick the least likely people they can find and then give them an impossible senerio to work with.I remember the 'Pioneer' show where no one was allowed to hunt! I was really disapointed, I was hoping to learn something usable, not get involved with a lot of petty squabbling. It would be nice to have someone come up with a real how to show, lessons on all things homesteading. Do a lot more good than all these silly shows they keep doing.

12. JamesCM

JamesCM Member

hmmm ... feel I should defend my corner here a little... and thanks to rosestar for her support.

As some people have pointed out this is for the Discovery Channel - so its naturally geared towards education.

We didn't mess Carla or Don around - in fact Don recently offered his continued support and input despite the tough times he must be going through now.

...yes, it may seem odd that I've put my hotmail e-mail address on this posting - but our server is down this week, so I can't access my work e-mail which is james.christiemiller@ricochet.co.uk. You're welcome to e-mail there too if you wish - but it may bounce back this week...

I put some of the text in caps to get your attention - it's clearly working...

Overall, this series is aiming to inspire people, to show our viewers that with a little hard work, it is possible to achieve your dreams and set up a homestead in these modern times.

Like all things in life, some may like it, some may not. But, regardless of that, it's my job to find people making this kind of move, so if you're interested and believe in a project like this, please do get in touch.

If you're not - no hard feelings...

James Christie-Miller
    jamescm99@hotmail.com
    james.christiemiller@ricochet.co.uk
    011 44 207 251 6966 (UK)
    001 323 692 3038 (US)
    www.ricochet.co.uk

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I think he is legit and came in the spirit of friendship.I found his letter inoffensive and friendly.

IMHO.I would reserve harsh judgement until I had 'talked' to him ,personally.
    Thats just my take on it.

Good luck on your project James.

BooBoo

14. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I just wanted to put in a good word for Pioneer Quest and Frontier House. Yes, they focused on some cheap entertainment like interpersonal issues and general incompetence, but I loved them. I watched them while trapped and miserable in my Chicago apartment while going to school, and they were like a breath of fresh air. I was using my time stuck in that godforsaken city to practice things like quilting, knitting, sewing, cooking from scratch, some indoor gardening, etc., and it was inspirational to see anything even remotely related to homesteading on tv. I didn't watch them for education or validation, just a pick-me-up. I would've watched it for the scenery alone. I wouldn't want to be on one of those shows, but I don't think the people there really wanted to be homesteaders anyway--they just wanted an adventure, from what I could tell.