TV remote not working

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Jun 11, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Its a 19 inch Symphonic brand, the remote works just part time, when ever it wants to. Changed batteries, tried a purchased universal remote (which does not work at all), cannot find an electrical eye or anything to clean. Off/on must be done manually, it will change channels on occasion, some times not at all. Time to go invest another $30.00 in a used set? Is there options?

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Small world, I have a 19" Symphonic also. Original remote stopped working. Tried couple different brand universal remotes. Neither worked. I hate getting up to turn tv off when I'm half asleep. I strung an extension cord from tv to switch by my bed. I can just reach up and flip switch. Interestingly when I turn switch by bed back on, tv comes on. Wouldnt think this would be so.

It may solve its own problem. Recently some distortion has appeared at top of screen and is slowly spreading downward. Too much futher and tv gets tossed.

I am debating about just using old B/W tv I have for news. I can watch dvds on computer. A cheap used tv tuner card would allow me to use vcr to watch tapes on computer also.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Some of these remotes are pure garbage. I've had some luck cleaning the battery contacts in the remote with a Q tip and alcohol. My back up system turned 13 not long ago and is becoming less reliable (and a little surly at times) but is still a good kid.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Things are hard every where, but getting up to change channels has to be considered elder abuse. When I was a kid adults never had to change channels.

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Get on line and try to get the codes for your tv and new remote. It can be a pain but they are there.

mikell

6. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

The most likely cause is the contacts inside the remote have gotten dirty. Open up the remote, some use screws and some have to be pried apart, and you will see a printed circuit board. Look closely and you will see smudges on the circuits. Use the eraser on a wooden pencil to erase these smudges and clean the board with a towel and alcohol. Reassemble and try. If the unit works better but you still have to push some buttons several times to get them to work it means the conductive coatings on the rubber pads has worn off and that means a different type of repair. Let me know if you still have a problem and I'll instruct you on how to fix a contact problem.
    Bill

7. ohio_kid

ohio_kid Well-Known Member

Yep. Time for a universal remote. You may even get the codes from the owners manual that came with the T.V. Good luck.

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

picked up a real nice 27" stereo TV made by Sharp at wally workd for 130 bucks, and that was a few yrs ago.

come, join us at wally world... lol.

seriously your tvs IR pickup sensor is probably toasted. take the case off the tv and look for the tiny plate in the front end of the case under the tube, see if its corroded, burnt or even if it has a tiny anal retentive fuse there.

if not... put it in the barn to enterain the livestock and get yo butt to wally world.

K mart has a deal or two becucause they are drownding in wally worlds copetition so maybe you can profit from their misfortune.