TV free for the next few weeks anyway....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ginnie5, Jan 6, 2007.

1. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

ok the kids have been watching WAAY to much tv. So we are now on two weeks of absolutely no tv. Any news we need we can hear on the radio or read online. So far its great! They played last night just rough housing with each other and this morning they played a board game before it was time to get started on chores. they hated missing Little House last night but ya gotta have some consequences for not listening! I think that after the 2 weeks are up I'll let them watch Little house at night and that's it. Its kinda nice not hearing that thing blaring all the time.

2. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Way to go Mom!!! My kids dont watch much anymore either. Video movies once in a while, but otherwise, go read a book and improve your mind!

3. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

While we enjoy tv and music very much, I do declare 'unplug' times now and again around here. Currently, we're doing this every evening 'technically' from 9 to 10 pm. It's interesting to note that often it begins to happen earlier and lasts later--until Dad wants to see some news or there's a new Mythbusters episode!
    Unplugged time means the tv, the 'puter, the cd players, video games, everything of that sort. All of us are big readers and crafters as well, so tisnt like we have to find things to do. Lately, we're all working on a puzzling jigsaw puzzle lol.
    It gives us all some more restful, quieter moments during the long days of winter where everyone is inside most of the time.
    Just what we found that works for us!

~~

4. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I quit watching tv, other than videos/dvd's, about a year and a half ago. Last fall I tried it again, and gave it up after 2 weeks.

I find the house is more peaceful without it and I have more time for the things I want to do. It took awhile to get used to it, but now I don't even think about it any more.

5. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

My TV sometimes STAYS on 24/7 Cool~!

6. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm all for "killing your television", or at least using it in moderation. Many years ago, I lived with a roommate who felt the same way. We opted to unplug the television and only plug it back in a couple times a week to watch the few shows we thought were worth the time.

7. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

ds has asked a few times to watch something but I just tell him no and he goes on about his play. course it means dh is hiding in the bedroom watching tv when he's home.......oh well there hasn't been anywhere near as much fussing between the kids and they are actually doing stuff without me standing over them. I think in 2 weeks they will get to watch little house though. Its one of the shows they love and so do I.