TV antenna tower install

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Matt Black, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Out back

I picked up a free TV antenna including the tower that it was mounted on. The bottom section of the tower was mounted in concrete and the guy who gave it to me had to cut it off flush. I don't know how much of the tower was still stuck down in the concrete. Is there any guidlines for how much of the tower to sink in the concrete or how deep to pour the concrete to mount the tower? Also, how should I go about grounding it?

Thanks,
    MB

2. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

You don't have to actually bury any of the tower. Just put in a deep concrete footing, and bolt or weld a heavy duty mounting bracket to it that matches up with several heavy bolts set deep into the footing. Properly tensioned guy wires will also probably be necessary.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

This depends if your tower is 12 feet or 60 feet high - and I've seen both so we can't assume what you have without you telling us....

Also, is it the typical 3 pipes diagonally braced, no guide wires, or is it some other configuration?

--->Paul

4. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

First off. If you dont know what your doing DONT do it. Tower are dangerous. They can fall and kill someone, They call fall into power lines. If not installed correctly they can take a lightning hit. YOU CAN DIE.

Now with that said and assuming your not putting up a tower more than 20ft taller than your house You bascily stick it a hole 6-8 inche deep filled with concrete and anchor it to the house. Make sure its true and plumb.

If your higher than the house then guys get into the picture and that is a whole lot of differant issues.