Turtle and others.....

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by KSALguy, Dec 27, 2006.

1. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Hey Turtle was just wondering how the last doe to kindle did? have you had new burrows and litters? how has the winter weather affected everyone?

anyone else who has their rabbits on the ground chime in just curious how everyones season has come along.

2. KSALguy

did ya'll fall out?? hope you didnt fall hard

3. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

I have a beautiful litter of 7 angora bunnies, a litter of 6 mini lops and a litter of oops rex's maybe you can tell me what I will have. My standard rex buck got in with my mini rex doe. The babies are beautiful but I am not sure what size they will be. I guess I should be glad they were both rexs at least.

4. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

They will more than likely be around 5-6 lbs. or so. Usually they are right between the stated max weights for the 2 breeds. My son's original doe is a cross between the 2. She is 5.5 lbs and her daughter (who has a mini rex for a sire) is 5 lbs. We have not kept any of the daughter's babies to adulthood yet so we are not sure how close we are to the correct weight. He is trying to establish his own "line" out of his fist doe. Yes it would be alot faster to just buy a new doe but for sentimental reasons he wants to keep her in the breeding background.
    Melissa

5. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Hey there! Thanks for asking about the colony. I've been busy with family stuff and traveling during the holidays and haven't been playing on the computer in at least a month.

Well since I stepped on the main burrow and caved it in, the rabbits have rebuilt it and one doe has kindled in it, maybe two have. I know there was fur pulled like mad one morning when I went out there, and the burrow was all closed up. Then about 10 days later more fur was pulled. I don't know if that was the same doe building up her nest or a second doe getting ready to kindle; I suspect it was a second doe kindling. Two does shared that burrow the first time it was used, so they may be sharing it again. Still, I really need to mark those rabbits somehow!

Haven't seen any of the new kits above ground yet and the burrow is still closed up; usually the does leave a little air hole a few days before the kits start coming to the entrance to peer out. No air hole yet. They should be peeping out in about a week, if my observations and speculations are accurate.

6. turtlehead

Regarding new burrows, and the effects of winter... (sorry, I hit "submit" a bit early)...

We have one new burrow that the "non senior" rabbits (i.e. NOT the original three does and the buck) hang out in when weather is bad. Other than that we still just have the one big original shared burrow where the seniors hang out (and where we now have one or two litters), and another burrow kind of by itself where there was a successful litter of six born (all lived, I'm thrilled!).

The winter hasn't seemed to affect them much, but we've had mild temps and lots of rain. They do go underground when it gets absolutely miserable, but they don't mind the rain for the most part. For "white" rabbits, they can be a pretty motley looking crew sometimes :) They've killed all the grasses in their enclosure and are working hard at killing all the trees by stripping off the bark. They have pellets free choice 24x7 as well as hay that's a mix of grasses and alfalfa. They just really like tree bark!

7. KSALguy

thats good to hear, have you separated the young ones off yet? how old are the first cople litters now? might end up with a lot of junior does kindling too lol

8. turtlehead

I know I know I know (cringing) ... we haven't separated anyone out and the young ones are 15 weeks! We have intended to butcher them twice now and the weather turned absolutely horrible both times.