Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owing to the 10 inches of snow we have out there now, the power went out. SO, I got to practice cooking on the wood stove. This is not really a "cook stove", but it is plenty big. I got to practice woodstove cooking, and it turns out, I can manage it. :bouncy:

For my first woodstove experience, (lunch) I made baked potatoes. I just threw them in the firebox wrapped in tin foil like you would if you were camping. Then I made some thin steaks in a frying pan. (really it was a roast sliced really thinly). I made some gravy too, just to see if I could do it on a cook stove.

For dinner, I made beans and corn cakes. For both meals we had a kettle of hot tea.

I was pretty proud of myself. I decided to do a non-electric day every month, for practice. And during the winter, I am going to cook at least one meal on the cook stove per week since we will be heating with wood anyway and it will be on. It will save electricity, and help me be prepared for if I ever HAVE to do this.

It was fun! Everything turned out pretty good for my first try.

Cool!

Cindyc.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Good for you!!!!! Maybe Santa will bring you a Dutch Oven so you can learn to bake too?!
And I love the idea of doing it one day a week. I have just forgotten about it this year and I do have eyes on the top of my woodstove.
Thanks for reminding that it is there.. you would think it would dawn on me considering that fact that I am tending it all day... but, Doh!

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good for you!!!!! Maybe Santa will bring you a Dutch Oven so you can learn to bake too?!
And I love the idea of doing it one day a week. I have just forgotten about it this year and I do have eyes on the top of my woodstove.
Thanks for reminding that it is there.. you would think it would dawn on me considering that fact that I am tending it all day... but, Doh!
Dutch oven... Cool! I do need a dutch oven. But all of Santa's gifts are already under the tree, so not this year. But we camp alot, so we need one anyway. Don't know what I never considered using it on the woodstove.

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
I cook on my woodstove whenever it's extremely cold and will be throwing lots of wood in it all day. Cooked a pot of brown beans on it the other day. The next day made a big pot of chili with the leftover brown beans. Our stove has 2 removable circular lids on top so we can remove and place a frying pan over the holes. Great for frying bacon and eggs. Place a flat peice of tinfoil on it and toast bread on top.

If it's cold and you have some spare time, might as well use the woodstove to cook with. Save on electricity or gas.

·
Formerly Kathleen in AR
1,050 Posts
That is really cool that things turned out so well the first time you've tried this. I always figured there would be a learning curve and the first few tries would not work out. Of course, I've never had the opportunity to try it. Just something I assumed. How encouraging to know that I was wrong. :)

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We love a pot roast with all the veggies in a dutch oven. You can smell it all day, warm feelings inside and out.
oooohhhhhh I will have to TRY that when I get my dutch oven.

Kathleen I would have thought so to, about the learning curve, and maybe it was just beginners luck. I didn't have to make anything hard, like bread or what have you, that would have been more dependant of predictable temperatures. But what I made turned out pretty good, I think.

I don't know if it was because I was proud of myself, or if it was real, but everything TASTED better on the wood stove. :shrug:

Cindyc.

·
Formerly Kathleen in AR
1,050 Posts
That's just too cool. :) Here I was thinking I'd probably have to get one of those wood stove cookbooks before making an attempt. lol I think after reading this, I might be brave enough to give it a shot (if we ever get a woodstove.).

So, next attempt, post pictures. :)

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, next attempt, post pictures. :)
Remember, I have a wood heat stove, not a wood cook stove. I was just using it to cook on, cause folks on this board said it would work. It did. I'll be glad to post pictures, but maybe I'll start another thread, and try to get mellissa or others who cook on a wood stove all the time to post pictures and tips for the novice. That would be of far more value to us all, I would bet.

Cindyc.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
There are 2 types of dutch ovens: with legs and without legs....depends on what surface you'll be cooking over. Also, if your surface space is small, you can stack some kinds of dutch ovens and cook more than one thing at a time.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are 2 types of dutch ovens: with legs and without legs....depends on what surface you'll be cooking over. Also, if your surface space is small, you can stack some kinds of dutch ovens and cook more than one thing at a time.
Hey that's a great tip thanks! I bet I could fit two in there. It is a pretty big wood stove. (at least I think it is big. Leastwise the one I have in the other building is much smaller.

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Cindy, I am so glad you posted this! I cook on my wood stove all the time since it's already going, but I have never done baked potatoes! DH loves baked potatoes. I will have to give that a try very soon.
Thank you!
Trisha

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
Right now I have a pot of split pea soup going on top of my wood stove, and it isn't a cookstove, either. Why not? It's saving some fuel by not using the propane cookstove, and I'm heating the house anyway. And . . . it smells really good!

NeHi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts