Turns our I AM the bad neighbor!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MorrisonCorner, Aug 10, 2006.

1. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

There is a little lot and camp for sale next door to our property. Coincidentally, since this is a tourist area, most of the people who come up to look at this property come on weekends. When, naturally, the husband and I are doing stuff around the place. The tractor is roaring, or the chipper is whining, or the splitter is making that obnoxious two stroke engine noise... or we're doing a little target shooting. But whatever... I think the property is grossly overpriced, and it is annoying to have people parked smack in the middle of the road, but we've never bothered them and they don't "bother" us.

So. My neighbor (next door) who is renting the place below me decided he really loves it here and gets the agent to show him the only piece of property for sale on the hill... the lot next door. During the tour of the property the real estate agent waxes eloquent about its many positive properties (actually, there aren't too many, the lot is small and grossly overpriced) and then concludes "the only negative is the neighbors."

"Oh?" says our neighbor, not letting on where he lives. At which point the agent unloads. They run tractors. They have sheep. You can hear the roosters crowing. They shoot guns off... THEN she gets into our politics (I write an op ed column for the local paper), starts ranting and raving about how socially unacceptable we are but "pretty soon they won't be able to afford to live here any more so you won't have to put up with them for long."

Pause.

"Oh," says my neighbor. "That's too bad. We've really enjoyed living next to them this past year."

So I'm wondering.. should I call the nice real estate lady and ask her what her problem is?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Do you think any good would really come of it?

.....Alan.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I think a love note is in order....

4. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

I would not bother calling her, she won't be able to speak with her foot in her mouth anyway.

5. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I wonder why he told you that? Who cares what a dopey realtor thinks so why hurt your feelings possibly? I know you're more mad than hurt but still...
    On the other hand, it could be fun to put her on the spot and watch her squirm..

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I think a large sign, by the road would be more appropriate. Something like, "we will run our tractors, raise our chickens, shoot our guns, and butcher meat here for years to come, no matter WHAT the real estate agent says."

7. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Don't feel too bad...we're the "bad neighbour" also...lowering our neighbour's property value by keeping goats and chickens. Imagine wanting livestock in your country home...some people have lots of nerve don't they?

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

"I'd love to list my property with you since I can no longer AFFORD to live here, but since you trash talked me I'll find someone else more professional"

And as she calls around to fellow realtors to get a cut of possible sale/listing you can ask I bet I know whose big mouth you got your info. from when they call offering to list your place. :shrug:

9. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Ohhhh, thats even better.....call the realator and list your property. No matter what offers come your way, turn them down. Be the biggest pain in the tucas she ever saw.

10. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Don't do anything you don't already do...
    the realtor is hurting her own fiscal bottom line with that talk.
    You neighbor will probably mention it to someone else, who will mention to the boss realtor....

realtor is hanging themselves, you need to do nothing.

Just what I think.
    Angie

11. palani

palani Well-Known Member

Any chance you could start a business on the side processing fish heads and offal on site? It really is a good source of protein.

12. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

Who cares with that ding-dong realtor has to say. Ignore it. Hey, I am a bad neighbor too because I have dogs barking, goats baaing, and kids screaming :shrug:

13. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I would go to the agents office and smile and introduce myself. Then simply tell her a short summary of what you were told and listen to her response.

She needs to know that what she says will come back to haunt her. It will be a learning experience. :)

14. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

If I were you I would send a note to the current property owners :) Unless the showing agent has a contract with the buyers she could be in big trouble with the people she is really working for.

Hugs
    marlene

15. PutteringAround

PutteringAround Active Member

I used your column. May not mention names but enough that is would know. Apparently she reads your column or how else would she know what your politics are?

16. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Write a letter to her broker.

OR, get 20 pigs and put them in a pen that borders the property - preferably upwind of it....

17. 1GandJ1

1GandJ1 Well-Known Member

I thought that the Realtor would be doing you a big favor. I would think you would want any person coming in, to know exactly what noise, smell, activity is going on in the neighborhood. Isn't that the information anyone would want. Now that being said.... I think the way the Realtor choose the words was very unprofesional and very sad. The same information could be communicated nicely. I do all the things you do and we would make great neighbors. I would run my chainsaw sawmill while you ran your chipper. I could use some mulch if you could use some rough sawn lumber. :)

18. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

I'd write an editorial about the real estate market in the area and mention some agents feel a need to bad mouth ajoining property owners, thus making sales lower. Let the mystery solve itself. If the agent reads your column she'll know, you know, and others will wonder just who this agent is (including her boss).

19. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

Obviously she isn't a good agent or should would have only had positive things to say.

I think it's funny, I wouldn't have any problem with things she complained about if I was looking. To each his own, I guess :shrug:

20. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I know I tell people back here looking for property the bad things and not the good,just to keep them from buying.I know My Bad!!

But last year my neighbor tried pulling the same stunt on me,saying he was going to divide his property up and sell it,thinking I would just sell out.Then he offerd to buy my place.He offerd me half what I figure it was worth so I just laughed at him.Wife told me he was just bluffing.

big rockpile