Turning/hoof trimming in-lamb ewes

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by desiderata, Nov 10, 2004.

1. desiderata

desiderata New Member

Hi everyone

I need to trim the hooves of my in-lamb ewes, I find a headstock causes them a lot of stress and doesn't work well for me so want to turn them in the normal way. I have read that this may not be advisable with pregnant ewes (though some shear pregnant ewes!?). Does anyone out there turn pregnant ewes without any problems and if so is there any stage that I shouldn't do it (e.g first month/last month).

Thanks

D

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

As long as you're gentle about it and don't crowd or run them so much they hurt themsleves before they're done it shouldn't be a big issue. Nothing is 100% safe, heck they could abort if they stumble too!

3. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I do not know how many you have,, so this might not do for you.
    But I halter trained all mine... once I became unable to shift them to shear or trim feet.. I just tied them to a stout post, and did their feet like you would do a horse, standing up. They took to it real fast. Was rather suprised by that.

4. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

I have read that the fetus is free-floating during the first 3 weeks of gestation, so this might be when you should be extra careful not to handle them roughly. We shear 2-4 weeks before lambing and haven't had any problems. Our shearer does the usual rolling them around quite a bit when he shears.
    We only trim hooves once a year, when we put breeding groups together in November.

5. stellie

stellie Well-Known Member

If you've got an extra set of hands running about, get them to hold her head and you can pretty easily get to each foot while she's standing on the three other. Or, if you're comfortable straddling her, do that. Depending on how far along she is (and how heavy pregnant), you might not want to do anything with her until after she delivers. If this isn't an available option, I'd really just get someone to hold her head and trim her while she's standing.

I've always trimmed while standing with the older (more ornery and/or pregnant) ewes and flipped the problematic cases and younger stock.

6. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this...not turning pregnant ewes. Every vet, shearer, etc around here rolls them around all the time. (Including myself). My sister's ram is constantly butting her pregnant ewes right before they start lambing. He smells the hormones. If a ram can head butt a ewe full force enough to knock her down, I think it's safe to roll one to shear and trim hooves.

7. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Bergere-
    Great plan! I need to do this too! Where did you find halters small enough?
    Any hints on how you trained them?
    Also, I forgot what breed you're working with....

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I was breeding Brecknock Hill Cheviots,, and a couple of Soays.

I bought Baby Alpaca or Pygmy goat halters. I found they fit much better than the cheaper halters made for sheep.

Was quite happy with the quality of these folk's halters..
    https://secure.llamaproducts.com/

9. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

thanks for the link...