Turning a Barn into Guest House

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Lisa in WA, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We built this barn about 8 years ago:
    http://www.homesteaddesign.com/austin.html

We've downsized on horses at this point and have another, smaller barn that we use to keep our remaining two. We're thinking about turning this "Austin" barn into a guest house (though it would be significantly larger than our cabin!) for visiting relatives, friends and our daughters future families.
    What do you all think? It looks out over the river so it would have a magnificent view.

Here's a photo of the actual barn. We'll have to put windows, doors and a staircase in for sure..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. unregistered65598

unregistered65598 Guest

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I think I better get in the reservation line before it fills up.

In other words, heck yea! It will be magnificent if only basically done - with that style and view, I'd keep it rather primitive looking.

4. Lisa in WA

I think so too Angie. Pine or cedar walls, and a pretty open floor plan. Maybe this will be a place for my wood cookstove that's sitting in a storage shed waiting for a place to go.

5. B & B Farms

B & B Farms Well-Known Member

Well that is SURE a lot nicer than the old School Bus I picked up for a few dollars that I am thinking of turning into a guest "house"!!!

Allene

6. Sawmill Jim

Sawmill Jim Well-Known Member

I'd fix it for me and give the cabin to the company :bouncy:

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

It looks very much like our barn. I'd renovate and move in...let them have your smaller cabin!

Hubby and I agree that if our house ever burns down we're going to turn our barnloft into an "apartment" for us to live in. The barn is 40x40 ft. so we'd have plenty of room. I've always wanted to live in a barn...used to daydream about converting my parents' old barn (built in 1934) into my house. Now it's falling down and will have to be demolished...makes me sad and I know I'll cry when it comes down.

Here's our barn...it already has windows in the barnloft...might give you an idea of what yours would look like with windows:

[​IMG]

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

What will you put in the stalls for bedding?? Wheat straw won't be nearly as itchy as shavings. You might want to use the itchy stuff when you don't want your guests to over stay their welcome. LOL

9. Texasdirtdigger

Texasdirtdigger Texasdirtdigger Supporter

I want one. Or, to come stay with ya'll.

10. unregistered65598

unregistered65598 Guest

Not to hijack the thread,

Ravenlost, is there anyway you can save some of the boards from the old barn, to make something out of them as a keepsake? May easy the pain a bit, knowing you still have a part of it.

11. beaglebiz

beaglebiz Wasza polska matka

Lisa, you have such a beautiful place. My son's friend (along with his family lol) live in a converted barn nearby. Its really nice.

RL...one of our neighbors saved and stacked the barn board from his collapsed barn. In the new house, he did a whole wall in the barn board. Its striking...

12. Use Less

Use Less Well-Known Member Supporter

We turned a modest pole barn into a dandy shop building. It is exceedingly tight against both heat & cold. I keep produce in there w/just a couple of light bulbs to hold upper 30's/low 40's until late December, and then a small space heater on the lowest setting will do the same. W/water & a corner seat & shower it could be an efficiency apartment :) Your barn is really striking. Sue

13. Our Little Farm

Our Little Farm Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it will make a great place to stay! Is it insulated at all?

14. cathleenc

cathleenc Well-Known Member Supporter

Our farm has a former swine barn, barnboard upper with salt-glazed tile lower 1/3rd, that previous owners turned into a gift shop - fully finished interior, septic, electric, etc. Features a wonderful loft with killer views - spiral staircase to gt up there. It's cuter than all get out and almost anyone who walks in starts talking about living there instantly.

The downside of the conversion is that with no basement the waterlines enter the building above ground level and with our classic upper midwest climate, the water must be shut off completely from November - April. And the poured cement floors are icy cold! Not having a subfloor or basement makes heating and plumbing challenging. I think the previous owners could have planned better but they were cheap and hired the cheapest, cruddiest contractor they could and it all was done wrong.... but cute.

15. Lisa in WA

Thanks for all the comments!
    Depending on how this goes, we might just take the barn and leave the cabin for the guests. Though we have a real attachment for this cabin. I can't think of a cozier, homier place on earth and it does have the best view on the place.

DH is think of pouring concrete with in-floor heating and then wood flooring on top of that for the lower barn floor. Water and electricity are already there though we'd have to upgrade a bit and put a septic system in. Probably would help to get an architect to help us come up with a floor plan. We were thinking 2 bedrooms in the loft with another downstairs and the rest open kitchen/living room/dining area.
    There is one big loft door on the other end of the barn where we get hay in and out so we'd put a big window there and another at the other end of the loft. Windows that open wide to let the river breezes flow through.

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

That sounds lovely! That big open area would be perfect for family get togethers and parties.

Merks and beaglebiz...yes, we're going to salvage all of the old barn as we can. My sister is going to use the tin for the ceiling of the wrap around porch on her log house. Hubby and I are going to use the old stall doors and salvaged wood to finish our bonus room above the garage. I want to be able to sit in that room and feel like I'm in the barnloft where I spent so many happy times as a child.

17. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

I have always wanted to live in a a barn. I've seen some beautiful conversion. If you felt like it you could use it as a short term rental for tourists to make some money.

If you put the wood cooktove in there it would make a nice summer kitchen for you.

I think it would be a beautiful guest house. Please post before and after photos.

18. DamnearaFarm

DamnearaFarm aka RamblinRoseRanc :) Supporter

19. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Lots of possibilities with that structure. My "oldtimers" may be acting up, but didn't you once mull over starting a B&B? The barn could certainly be converted into a huge one. I've stayed in cabins in Canada with the in-floor heating (fired by a wood fueled outdoor boiler). It was great. Best wishes whatever you do, and enjoy the planning. That sometimes is the best part.

20. unregistered65598

unregistered65598 Guest

I can just picture it in my mind.....Please let me know when it's available :)