Turn your head and squeal

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Unregistered-1427815803, May 3, 2004.

1. Gettin ready to cut my little piggies. I read that some people give them a little shot of anti-biotics before blade to ball contact. Does anybody else do this? I am not crazy about giving unessasary shots. I am going to spray the cut area with a good wound spray them turn them loose.
    Every old farmer I talk to said that is all they use to do and it worked just fine . I would like to here how yall did your cuttin.
    Thanks for any suggestions
    Travis

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

well i don't beleave in cutting them ,would you want some one to do it to you? thats why i don't do it.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I doubt if giving antibiotic shots prior to casteration is a common practice. I never heard of anyone who did. What you suggested always worked for us.

4. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

A good shot of Blu-cote (sp) should do the job. Our first time hubby poured rubbing alcohol in the cuts. No infections but they sure squealed! A good clean area until they heal up is the first thing to make sure of then use a wound treatment if you like.

LisaBug

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

We don't give them shots first either. Just treat the wound after. Good luck to you! :)

6. diamondefarm

diamondefarm Well-Known Member

Hi Travis,

I am assuming these are small (feeder size) pigs? If so, here is my advice.

Supplies (procure beforehand):
    - 3 or 5 gallon bucket (clean)
    - Nolvasan/Chlorasan (topically antiseptic)
    - LA penicillin
    - Ivomec injectable for swine
    - 18 gauge needle, 1"
    - 6 cc syringe
    - Scalpel with either hook or regular blade (I like hook on little pigs, regular on large hogs)
    - Crimping style emasculator (I like Whites double crush brand). About $50, but will last forever if you keep them clean.
    - Willing helpers (the larger/faster/stronger the better, the more the better)

Here is my procedure:

Take the bucket and add warm water. Mix in some Nolvasan/Chlorasan.

You and the helper(s) get in the pen.

Send fast partner to catch pig. Have large/strong partner flip hog onto his back (the pig's, not his), and sit on his belly, securing his hind legs with his hands and/or body weight. If you have additional helpers they can hold the rear legs as well.

Apply chlorasan mix liberally to incision site. Make 2 incisions directly between the rear legs, in the approximate location of the testes. Make the incisions the guesstimated length of the testicle. Once you have cut through the skin, make a small cut in the peritoneum (sp?), or inner membrane. Take your two index fingers, insert them in your larger skin hole, into the smaller membrane hole, and enlarge this opening to match the initial incision length.

Insert your index finger (either one) into one of the holes, and feel underneath the testicle. Your finger will "hook" on the spermatic cord. Gently, but firmly apply a constant pull towards the rear and upward until the testicle breaks free. You will know when this happens. Continue to pull it all the way out. With the testicle out, gently massage away all of the extra tissue, etc. from the cord. You should now have a testicle on the outside of the hog's body, with a couple inches of cord to work with.

Immerse the emasculators in the nolvasan solution. Open them up, and place the crimping closure over the spermatic cord, in between the testicle and the body. Make sure that the crimping portion faces the hogs body, so that the testicle is cut off, and the cord is crimped.

Now, up to this point, Mr. hog has been pretty well mannered. You have probably had a few kicks and squeals, but not much. Let me warn you. When you clamp down on that cord all H*LL is gonna break loose. :eek:

Make sure the helpers are ready, and make sure the scalpel is way away (now might be a good time to put it in the bucket if you haven't already done so). Swiftly squeeze the emasculators with both hands. That hog will kick and scream, but just hang on. You need to hold the "crimp" for about 30 seconds to stop the bleeding. Once this is done, take the emasculators off and put them back in the bucket.

Repeat the steps above for testicle #2.

Some may skip the emasculators, but I am a firm believer. I have never had a hog bleed to death when using them.

Once the castrating is finished, I usually give (depending on size) 1 cc of LA penicillin and 1 cc of ivomec wormer after the deed is done. Splash a little of that nolvasan solution on the incisions, and turn him loose.

One important note: Make sure you keep the castrated hogs penned away from any others that you have not worked on. Gilts and other healed barrows can nuzzle the wound to the point that it ruptures or bleeds. You only need to keep them apart for a couple days. It is worth a little time and effort to me rather than losing one. Generally all the hogs you cut will be in enough pain that they leave each other alone.

I think your "blade to ball" comment was made tongue in cheek. The testicle should never be cut while it is attached to the body. Now, if you decide to clean and eat them, that's your call. I never have, but the dog sure approves! :D

This is just the way I do it. I have used it on everything from feeder pigs to show pigs (high $) with no ill results.

Good luck! :dance:

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Tetanus anti toxin is what I've read is given the little guys before they are cut at three days. I've never castrated anything. We don't need to because we butcher the boys very young as a tender roast or use as dog treats if they are larger than 40 pounds- that is when we've learned our pigs will start to stink a little when cooked.

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Around here the farmers cut the sack and pop out the testicles with all the stringy stuff. I thought that was what Travis was alluding to.

9. diamondefarm

Hi Tango,

I am sure it was. I just wouldn't want someone cutting into a testicle while it was still attached. It wouldn't make a difference in the end, but it might make things more difficult. :)

10. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

I've been on the giving end of this procedure for many years and the advice above is very good.

My only difference is that I do NOT use the emasculators. I talked it all over with a large animal vet prior to my first time. His advice to me was to simply pull out the testicles and let the cord and blood vessels simply tear off. I have NEVER had a bleeder this way and it actually causes less stress on the pig.

Of course I'm after them long before they get to feeder stage. I usually harvest at around a week or two of age. But then, there was that crypt orchid boar...I'm still chuckling!

By the way, after you cut through the skin, you find the tunica alba; that is the very tough sac that holds the testicles. If you got to the peritoneum you would be inside the pigs body cavity where you do not want to be.

And you folks are missing out on a damn fine treat by not having the first meal offered by the pigs. Rocky Mountain Oysters are scrumptious beyond words to describe.

bearkiller

11. diamondefarm

Thanks for the correction on the inner skin terminology. :) Seems like I always end up with a boar pig from someone that should have been cut LONG ago., which is why I like the emasculators.

Great thread with some great tips.

12. Thanks for all the great advice, My piggies are now 19 days old. I am going to wait till this weekend to cut. We have had tons of rain lately so I think I will wait until everything is dried out.
    Bearkiller, I won't be missin out on those little missouri diamonds. Goin to fry them up with a big batch of morels I've been saving just for this.
    Thanks again
    Travis

13. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

all we've ever done is cut them and slap a little pine tar in wound. had 1 one to fester up many years ago but we just opened it back up and cleaned it out and put the pine tar back on it and it healed up fine. probably not the most scientific (or sterile for that matter) method but thats how my granddaddy showed me and all i've ever done and never had any problem. i can't say whether it makes a difference or not but he was a firm believer in the signs in the almanac and would never cut one unless the blood was in the sign of the feet. i always wait till it's right to.... don't know if it helps, but figure it can't hurt... and no problems, so no need to change

14. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Don't forget your ear plugs!

squueeeeaaalllllllk!!!!! squuueeeeaaallllk!!!! squuuueeeeeaalllk!!!!
    (greatly edited for space and volume)

and it was much easier to get hold and pull the nards out with a cloth than with my bear hands, they'er a bit slippery.