Turn Signal Problem-'93 Chev PU

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by TnTnTn, May 13, 2005.

1. TnTnTn

TnTnTn Well-Known Member

My 1993 Chevy 1500 PU has a problem with the right turn signal. I figured the rear bulb was out but the one I removed appeared ok and the new one did not change things.

Symptoms-right rear:

when headlights are on, tail lights are on
    no brake light on right when brakes are applied
    right turn signal indicator on dash flashes fast
    right turn signal bulb on front flashes fast
    no flash at all at r rear turn signal

left side brake and turn signals function normally

is the 'flasher module' two sided ie r and l?
    Maybe that is the problem?

Any thoughts from the mechanically inclined?

Thanks, TnTnTn

2. Theront

Theront Well-Known Member

On these trucks the assemblies have the harness built in . These cause the problems you are talking about. Might be worth it to pull the tail light assembly and check everything over really well. I think you can replace them for around $20 or so. Has been a while since I had to change one.

Hope this helps.

Theron

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Tn I'd start with looking at the wireing down around the rear end of the pickup bed. Look for wireing that is mashed up against the frame or around the hookup for the trailer. How about the back of the plug in for the trailer? Also if you take the positive battery cable off the post and as you put it back down on the post (with the key in off position, and all accesories off) is there a spark? If so you have a short. If this doesen't work check the back of the lights where the wires plug in. Just some things that I've run up on. shadowwalker

4. mink

mink Well-Known Member

did you test for power back there?....could be a broken wire or bad ground...mink

5. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Hey! I got the same problem on a 93 GMC 1500 p/u. Right side too! Went to replace bulb 4 years ago and noticed the filament still looked good. Contact surfaces all looked good. Put the bulb back in and it decided to work.

Its out again though. Been driving without inspection for about a year (friendly town).

I never thought to look at the splices for the trailer wires.

TnTnTn, Please let me know what the problem is/was with your when you find out. I think what cured mine for a while was not pulling the bulb in and out but the twisting around on the wiring harness when I was removing the lite assembly.

WE SHOULD GET A REPAIR RECALL!

By the way, ever have problems with the windshield wiper speed controler?

6. celticfalcon

celticfalcon tom

remove the entire t/l assy.seperate the whole thing. there is most likely a broken line similer(sp) to a circut board.i would guess it is rusted thru.
    its about a 1/8 th inch wide. its rusted thru. go to a "bone yard" and get a new one.
    tom

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Theront and Celticfalcon are on the money with their suggestions. The housing of the tailight is a poor design and usually causes the described problem. you can try to repair it with solder or replace the housing.

8. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

As has been mentioned before. Checl your grounds. That is one of the most problematic issues with GM electrical systems. And use a meter at the socket

9. TnTnTn

TnTnTn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I think the printed circuit board circuit on the assembly base is likely the culprit. I will check for continuity on the board and compare it with the working right side or put in a temporary bridge circuit while the assembly is out and see what happens. Maybe I can bridge or repair it(cheap lol) or find a used one.

Carballo-yes I have had problems with intermittent function of the ws wipers. They only seemed to go out during a heavy downpour when I am at speed-makes for an interesting situation! Finally they went out completely and my mechanic replaced a circuit board under the dash or on the firewall and that fixed it for now. I figured it was the wiper motor but it was the circuit board.

Thanks again. TnTnTn

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Carballo-yes I have had problems with intermittent function of the ws wipers. They only seemed to go out during a heavy downpour when I am at speed-makes for an interesting situation! Finally they went out completely and my mechanic replaced a circuit board under the dash or on the firewall and that fixed it for now. I figured it was the wiper motor but it was the circuit board.

Thanks again. TnTnTn[/QUOTE]

Your wipers are a very common problem and should be covered under a recall by GM even at the age of your vehicle. Bring your bill to a dealer or call the number at the back of your owners manual and you might get reimbursed.