Turkey.......solution???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by midkiffsjoy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I wanted to butcher the mean goose for Christmas dinner but Mom just HAD to have a turkey, so we made a Butterball (as always). For the first time I noticed on the packaging....

BUTTERBALL
    Young Turkey
    contains up to 7% of a solution

hummmmm ummmmm contains up to 7% of "a" solution. So WHAT kind of "solution" are we talking here??? grin. The wording just struck me odd and I had to share.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i think it is a solution of flavor enhancers, that gives it that distinctive butterball taste.

3. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

You'll find that most store bought turkeys contain a solution. It's flavor enhancers,usually. What does that say about the meat,when it needs something to enhance it? Usually contains MSG...vial stuff.

4. midkiffsjoy

Giggle. DH figured it was some kind of preservative. grin. But it just seemed so omonious sounding "contains up to 7% of A solution". giggle shudder. I think from now on, whatever bird is beating up the rest of the birds ought to be dinner!!! grin.

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Try finding a bird(any bird) in the store that doesnt have that broth.

BooBoo

6. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Its just a sneaky way to get you to pay big bucks for water. Around here, they do it with pork too. The marketing ploy is that it is a flavorful marinade. IMO, its a way to get you to pay several $ per pound of flavored water, so profits increase.

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Beaglady has it right: it's just flavored water (whatever they use for that...) injected into the bird so they can charge you full freight for a pumped-up bird.

I've been having difficulty finding chicken without that darned stuff in it, but a small local grocer carries it. :)

Pony!

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Find a local farmer and buy one from him/her OR raise your own!

9. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

Call them and ask them,

call 1-800-BUTTERBALL

and report back waht you find out,

10. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't forget the government approved fecal matter! We first noticed the "enhamced" thing last year - had a store bought turkey and it was nasty. Bought fresh this year and we were much happier, I won't eat the "flavor enhanced" stuff at any price.
    Perdue does chicken without the "solution" but of course it costs more.
    I am noticing the pork labelling is less clear - shame because I used to buy alot of the pork loins when they went on sale and now I don't want to risk it.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Read somewhere that some of that 'solution' contains gluten. Makes it dangerous for those with celiac disease like my daughter. Just another reason to raise your own.

12. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Avoid Hatfield - I haven't found any without the flavor solution.

13. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

7% solution. The solution will be mostly water with some flavoring chemicls. So if you buy a 20 pound turkey at, $1.00 per pound then 1.4 pounds was the solution, at $1.00 per pound. This figures out to $1.40 per turkey for the solution which is mostly water. This is a profit added solution. It seems to be all about money. $hoot the turkey full of water to make it weigh more. Good for the processers bottom line $$$. :mad:

14. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I know what you mean about the pricey water and it makes me nuts too. I noticed at wallmart it is in almost all things except hamburg!

15. Pony

Around here, Perdue chicken is injected.

Do you think it's a regional thing?

Pony!

16. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

It might be regional, but I think I should had said "Perdue sells some under a special label that does not have the added solution" - I think the label is a different colour and states very clearly there is nothing added. I found it on sale at Safeway, but have not seen it anywhere else.

17. Pony

Must be either regional or according to the store buyer's choice.

They should put a label on the injected meat, IN BIG RED LETTERS, that says,

"THIS MEAT IS INJECTED WITH CHEAP CHEMICALS AND WATER. IT REALLY ISN'T GOOD FOR YOU. IN FACT, THE ONLY THING IT IS HEALTHY FOR IS OUR BOTTOM LINE."

Pony!

18. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I brine all of my turkeys and you aren't supposed to brine them if they have been injected with a solution. I had a Butterball last year and called the hot line to find out what was in it. Since I wrote it down in the margin of my recipe card, here it is: water, salt, corn or potato starch, sodium phosphate.

19. midkiffsjoy

WOW. Mom has always used a butterball, and is really picky about it, but I think I'm gonna butcher the mean one from now on (be it goose or duck). It already HAS chemicals in it, but injecting it with water to make it weigh more is just pathetic. sigh.

20. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

HoneySuckle White is the only brand of turkey(that I know of)that guarantees there is no MSG or glutens in their products. They may inject with water or other things,though.