Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We have 6 midget whites, 9 weeks old now. They have a fully enclosed roost/ future nesting box area. We put them out there with a fenced run about 3 weeks ago when night got warm enough for them.
They arent going in on their own at night.....,

We're experienced chicken owners, kept them in the roosting area for 10 days to help them get to know ut as their home. Plenty of air flow, secure, roost sized right. The only thing is it may be a little low compared to the adjacent trees... huge old mulberries....

I'm looking for any advice about getting them to enter after dusk and roost. I know wild turkey dont always roost in the same area. But there arent othe options and we cant leave them on the ground over night.
Its a lot of work to fetch and place them each night.
Am i just excepting a lot out of young turkey? Will it come with a few more weeks? Thanks

·
Read Only
113 Posts
Do you teach them to associate your calls or other sounds (I use shaking treats in a plastic jar sometimes too) with their regular food and treats? They learn good connections pretty fast! Then you can use it to get them in easier at night. I don’t want to leave food around at night but maybe a few mealworms or corn to reward them for getting in the first few nights? I think turkeys have had their best instincts bred out of them, no offense to them or us owners - there’s no IQ test for being adorable! They just need more motivation and time I think.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it solved itself, or I should say they got a little wiser and so did we.

The fix was easy, finish the coop and roosts.
When I posted we didnt have to rain roof and upper roosts built - photo attached.

We have a 2 x 4 roost inside the shelter with the nesting boxes, that's were we had problems getting them to roost.
Honestly we thought they were too young to want to roost up high.. we were wrong. This weekend they were helping us put the roof panels on, and we are on 3 nights of them happily tucked into the finished coop.

Attachments

·
Registered
Chickens, orchard, bees, goats
22 Posts
I started with turkeys 2 years ago. I kept them with the same rules as my hens - every one MUST go in at night, no exceptions. They learned. Now, the only ones that I still have to chase in are the teenagers (under 7 months). Most of my hens/roosters/toms are all in and jockeying for the best spot on the roost by 30 minutes before sundown.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts