Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 6 midget white poults that are growing fast, which is great!
We now are planning their permanent housing.
We have a location based question, please only answer this thread if you KNOW about the phoenix Arizona area.

We also raise chickens, is Blackhead Disease a concern in our area. I want to be safe but really would like to mingle the flocks. We are limited
we are on flood irrigation, is that a risk to having blackhead as well?

I cannot find anything specific about arizona or phoenix, or about flood irrigation.
Our Extension office is closed due to Covid, otherwise I would ask them.
I asked the State Vet office and they didnt know anything about poultry diseases but gave me good general information about the disease.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/resources-you/blackhead-disease-poultry

Doesn't say anything specific about AZ heat, but using common sense, if you are concerned, keep the flocks separate. Flood irrigation? How long does the water stand? You know you don't have to "turn on the spout" each month or keep them in a raised coop if that is a concern.

BTW: I lived around the Park Preserve for over 30 years, then in the White Mountains for 12. I think for you to say not to answer if you don't know about the Phoenix area is very limiting. HT has people from all over the world on here that live in hot, dry climates.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts