Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought our first turkey (24#) of the great turkey sales going on.... I couldn't stand it... it never made it into the freezer....... went straight into the fridge and I cooked it up this afternoon!!

I miss turkey throughout the rest of the year.... so starting early is a GOOD THING!! (we also go to my parents so there is no LEFTOVERS to enjoy!! :)

We are having the WORKS tomorrow night!! I CANT WAIT!! YUMMY!! just might have to make a pie for dessert!!

I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS!!!

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
I stock up on turkeys while they are on sale so that we get turkey about once a month. I love turksy and all the fixings too! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. We don't go anywhere cause then I wouldn't be able to cook everything and have leftovers!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I got a phone call yesterday afternoon from the radio station I listen to and I won a $25 gift card for a free turkey! I already have my Thanksgiving bird in the freezer but there is plenty of room for more :)

Nothing better this time of year than roasted Turkey with gravy and a big spoonful of creamy garlic mashed potatoes *drool*

Uumm... that second turkey may not make it to the freezer now... see what you have started Texastami?? LOL!

Enjoy yours :)

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
i'm not making another turkey yet, but the pumpkin pie is about to get popped into the oven!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I'll be happy if I can just fit a turkey into my oven. That space is pretty small. I may cook mine at my daughter's house, just to have turkey for sandwiches and soup!

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
we love turkey, so I roast one at least once a month. (and hub seems to think it's a sin if we don't also have the stuffing, mashed taters, cranberry sauce every time. lol) needless to say, this is a GREAT time of year to stock up on more. or at least get better prices! oddly....that Thanksgiving one always tastes the best! can't wait. :)

I can tell you that I am craving pumpkin pie to the max!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
What is everyone seeing for turkey prices? The cheapest I've seen here is $.77 a pound. I'm going to have to buy one since we are now having 10 for dinner. Just wondering if I should wait?

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I know what you mean about leaving relative's with no turkey to take home for leftovers! It's awful.

So I have our own turkey sitting in the freezer for later!

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
We're already turkeyed out around here. A couple of weeks ago we had a family reunion and I smoked a turkey and two chickens for the event. Well due to the economy only about half the family showed up. We brought home most of the turkey and chickens and ate on it for several days till we're sick of it.

So now we're thinking of having something else for thanksgiving. Don't know what yet!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Cindy,

Around here (Jax.Fl.) the cheapest I have seen so far is 79 cents, that is what I paid for mine. Last year the week before Thanksgiving they got down to 49 cents but they sold really quick.

Fresh baked pumpkin pie? I have plenty of pumpkin put away so maybe I will surprise the kids with a pie today or tomorrow. Yeah, that's it, I will blame it on the kids!

You guys are BAD influences! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts