Turkey Hunting

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, May 4, 2005.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

No turkeys---lots of wood ticks!

Turkeys were all over the place in Feb and Mar--------but as soon as I load the shotgun--------they seem to vaporize.

Wood ticks are not too SHY!

I think one of them hides near my door and alerts all his buddies the second I leave the house.
    Of course it doesn't help to be sitting right in the brush with them.

Tons of fresh deer track in our 40 arcre woods.

Nice little pine tree with all kinds of fresh rub spots on it-----Are the bucks doing that this early in the season?

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Those wild turkeys are SO smart! We never see them when we have a paid-for license and we're loaded and waiting for them...

So, if the DNR started collecting fees for hunting ticks, we'd see less of them.

:haha:

Pony!

3. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Tallpines, sounds like you got my luck lol. I never see one of the things when season is actually in. Unless of course I am walking to my spot and paying absolutely no mind at all, in which case one usually pop up out of nowhere scaring the daylights outa me and flying off before I can get a shot lol.

Had so many projects going on around here neither dh nor myself has had time to go.

I haven't seen any ticks here yet this year but I am certain as soon as I click post message and step outside I will be covered (always works like that here lol).

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

about 25 of them in our pasture all the time

5. oregonbuckaroo

oregonbuckaroo Member

i cant find a dang turkey anywhere come season. but already have had my share of tick byte's this year.

6. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Shooting turkeys!!! EEEPPP!!!! Ok you figured me out I am a bird lover....and you guys really have to hunt to get them so I guess its ok :p As for those stoopid ticks seems like anymore there is an overabundance of em huh.

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

all i have to do is walk around the house once go inside and i have 10 on me and i eat a lot of garlic so much for that theory

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

speaking of ticks everything seems to have a perpose can you please tell me just what is theres

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've noticed the ticks being bad this year too. I'd also like to know if they have an actual purpose or if they are simply a plague. I can't think of any benefit of the tick.

Turkey hunting was good this year. Tonight I had smoked turkey breast, morel mushrooms, fresh green onions and radishes. Everything was home grown except for the iced tea I had to drink.

10. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Dear crashy, if you have a tick problem it is very understandable that you have a even bigger problem, you dont have enough ducks and chickens or guinea's free ranging around you place. SO to borrow the phrase from a legendary enabler.................... YOU NEED MORE POULTRY YOU NEED MORE POULTRY YOU NEED MORE POULTRY YOU NEED MORE POULTRY
    YOU NEED MORE POULTRY YOU NEED MORE POULTRY YOU NEED MORE POULTRY YOU NEED MORE POULTRY YOU NEED MORE POULTRY YOU NEED MORE POULTRY YOU NEED MORE POULTRY
    :yeeha: :yeeha: :yeeha: :yeeha: :yeeha: :yeeha: :yeeha: :yeeha:

Oh and yes nothing quite like the smoked turkey from a spring gobbler, I got one of my two allowed.

_Neal

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

I think maybee the subliminal message is getting to me......... I was looking at a buck a bantee at myers this morning................and i cant stand them lil things............................. they do sell at auction for up to $25 dollars though....... whoood uh thunk it.....

_ANoneeemouse Thred Hyjaker

12. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

LOL thats too funny!!! And yes smoked turkey is the best there is..... I dont have a tick problem I just hate those things but ya know what? I better go get some more birds just in case ;) I dont want those bugs around here!!!!

13. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well I've been getting up 3:30 AM the last 3 weeks except Sunday,chasing Turkeys.Worst Season ever.Had 4 within hundred yards,answear my calls,just wouldn't come in.

Oh well going Fishing next week,should do better.

Ticks just found a Big Fat One,been feeding awhile.

big rockpile

14. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Quail are smart too. Out here, you see coveys all over, then the first day of season, nothing. I think they have calanders and alarm clocks. They go fishing or something during the season.

Off season, with turkey, I can make a hen call (no box, just use my mouth) that will have jakes and toms a runnin! Never tried it in hunting season, we can never get a spot.

15. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Wild turkey is GOOOOD!!! Yum! I was thinking of buying my husband a turkey hunt last year, but it's expensive as can be. I believe it was $300 just for a one day hunt, and then extra if you bagged one.

16. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

I got tons of wild turkeys behind my new place. Can hear them in the morning, neighbor shot a monster one. For $150 your loving hubby can come sit in my shed and try his luck, day, week or whatever. The neighbors also say the place is crawling with deer. Guess they also bag those too, legal or not.