Turkey Fryer for Canning

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by duke3522, Mar 5, 2005.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Since I have a smooth top stove I need to find a heat source for canning. But that’s OK because I am going to turn a small shed I have into a canning room. I was thinking about either a gas grill or the base of a propane turkey fryer. Anyone ever use either of these?

Thanks
    Duke

2. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Have you tried to can on your smooth top stove? I do and it works just fine, of course I am stubborn and don't listen when folks tell me that I can't do that. My stove obviously didn't listen either. :haha:

I will tell you that the propane stove we have in our RV has a hard time boiling water in large pots. It works with smaller pots but not the large ones. I don't know if a gas grill will work or not.

The propane turkey fryer is what we used when we first moved here to heat bath water since it would heat it faster than the propane stove. It might be a good option and it does sound like a good idea.

You are going to start a new trend here. Now everyone is going to want their own seperate canning shed. It will catch on like outdoor kitchens. ;)

Good luck and let me know how it works.

3. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

Yes, let us know if it works if you try it. I"ve been thinking that might be a good idea too.

4. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

This should work, fine if the water boils what else matters? I am using the same thing this year as the range we bought needs raisewd burners and I don't want to spend good money on them. I will set the turkey burner thing up outside in front of the workshop, fill my jars and go from there.. can't wait to get started. Hurry summer. PAM

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

My turkey fryer specifically cautions NOT to use as a canner but it doesn't say why. It's probably a liability issue for them, 'cause I sure can't see why it wouldn't work. The ring on mine looks like it was specifically sized to accept my water bath canner.

6. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

My sister uses a two burner propane stove out on her patio in Denver. She's done it for years and it seems to work for her.

7. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Thats what I did last year. It worked like a dream...and I didn't have to repair my celing. Last time I had a prolonged canning session in my kitchen I peeled the textured celing off with all the steam. I only can outside now, and the Turkey fryer has worked wonders.

Sylvar

8. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I also have a cooktop stove and I can on it. I learned to do this from a friend who has one. But it might be nice to do it in the turkey fryer outdoors in the summer.

9. RevlonEyes

RevlonEyes Active Member

Hubby and I used his turkey fryer on our deck this past fall to do 40 dozen ears of corn. Husked, then cleaned with the garden hose, boiled in the fryer, had water ready to cool it down, cut and bagged. Clean up was a breeze (again with the garden hose) all done at the picnic table. Plan to do the same again this year.

10. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Duke3522,
    I'm with you on not wanting to use my canning equipment on the smooth top stove after trying to boil a turkey a while back. I guess the raised section on the pot doesn't come in contact with the surface anough, but boy was it interesting what it did to my pot and my turkey! I'm just glad the stove didn't get ruined...

But it does seem like more sense to can out of the kitchen in the summer anyway. It's just that you wouldn't have all the counters and stuff handy.

11. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I can with my Weck. http://khimairafarm.com/weck.htm

Its basically an electric water bath canner with a thermostat. Bought it to pasteurize milk from our goats, but I've used it for canning with no problem. Actually, it was handy for canning because I could use my stove for other things and the Weck sat on the kitchen table.

I've even seen it in a fancy shmancy restaurant where they keep the 'fingertip' towels moist and hot.

12. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I use my turkey fryer burner for canning--both water bath and pressure. It's especially great for pressure canning, getting the pressure up quickly so that the food quality doesn't suffer from a prolonged boil-up time.