Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for your help everyone in advance!

We want to add heritage turkey to the microfarm in the late spring - planning is key in small spaces (under 1 acre) Here's some questions, initial ideas, and we need feedback before we start the build.

Goals - 3 to 5 breeding turkey with initial purchase of 10 to 12 (if we can get White Midgets in our area), raised free ranging with a movable open sided coop in shared pasture with sheep but with food sheltered to prevent copper poisoning of sheep.
Coop - rough dimensions would be 4'x9' by 8+ft ht to roof, want to be able to move it-thinking skids. Located in Arizona so shade and heat are big factors rather than cold protection, also on flood irrigation so 1st floor level needs to be raised 6 to 10" above ground.

Here's some questions:
1: How to raise/make it mobile?...with limited metal working skills? We want a waterproof base and wood rots when wetted and needs termite protection(big in our area). But is it really worth it to build with metal that can be heavy, rusts, and more costly? Or do we build with wood skids that are easy for us to construct & can be placed on furniture movers seasonally to move it around the farm? With knowledge we'd have to replace them every few years??

2: how high do turkey like to roost? Can we build nesting boxes, food and water on a lower level (3ft clearance) with roofing over those areas & welded wire mesh in other areas to minimize cleaning - then put roosts above at about 5-feet? We could put a lower "bar" for hopping up to 2nd tier. thoughts and suggestions?

3: Are we planning enough space, most our chickens only need about 2 sq ft in actual coop since they too free range? Are we sized right for Midget Whites since most info. I find is on larger breeds.

Lastly, any other suggestions or advice we may need or you want to share?

Thanks again to all.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
I don't know about your midget breed, but I raised turkeys one time and said no more!!! They were really aggressive and would fly right into my face. I've never had that problem with guineas or geese. and only a little with roosters. But, good luck with your project.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
with any kind of poultry, you will find people who have had nothing but grief with them, . and there are people who have had nothing but pure pleasure with them.
In my over 50 years of poultry keeping, I had only one rooster and one turkey that would attack. both of them were not raised by me. auction birds. guess why ?
the rooster was especially tasty. the turkey went to a guy who just had to have it. I told him it was mean,.
He thought it was pretty.. I liked the $25.oo I got for it
about your coop. turkeys like to roost high up.
If they are not kept in the coop most of the time, a small coop will suffice. if they are just spending the night in it.
If they are left outside, they will fly up into a tree.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice about roosting up hugh, we will start them off with a fenced area with a roofed roosting area so the are protected from our neighborhood red hawks (lovely but fantastic hunters) and hope they get used to it and stay out of the trees... we found a hatchery that will do 10 SR poults, ordered for april YAY! that should help that we can keep a smaller amount.

I too have has all sorts of luck with bully hens that were hand raised and just pure onery... to the sweetest darned rooster that just dotes on his new chicks.... going on 7 years so we have 4+ more decades of pure wonder ahead!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts