Turkey Cooker

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by prariwildflower, Jun 3, 2004.

1. prariwildflower

prariwildflower Member

Okay, You all have my interest piqued! ;)

Please tell me more about canning with a Turkey Cooker. It gets so hot in here in the summer. I live in a mobile home with no air conditioner.

I use a pressure canner most of the time. But still water bath jellies and fruits.

Can I use a pressure canner on the Turkey Cooker?
    What is a Turkey Cooker? I've never heard of it before :eek:
    Is it electric or propane?
    Where would I find one? I live in Canada. Maybe Home Depot?

Can't wait to hear your comments

Wildflower

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

It's a large propane burner that comes with a stainless stock pot that's about 30 quarts. You get all the accessories for deep frying turkeys and chickens with it. The burner is about 1 1/2 feet tall and it sits on the ground outside. It's a powerful burner, so it's great for canning because you can get the temp up very quickly. You can use the included stock pot for water bath canning if you want, but they're generally tall and narrow, so you would have to put two layers of jars (separated by a rack) to get as many as you would in a larger canning pot. Or, just use your regular one on the burner.
    I use my turkey fryer for rendering lard from the hog, making soap, and any other stinky/hot endeavor.

You should be able to find them at Home Depot, Walmart, and Sam's Club, which has the best price for what you get, IMO. The one at Sam's will run you about $70. You can also order one from Northern Tool and Equipment for about $50.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've used my propane 2 burner campstove to can on to avoid heating the house. If you can't find a turkey cooker you might try getting a camp stove. I cook on it a lot outside in the summer. Use a 5 gal or bigger tank on it.

4. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

My uncle used to can on his Turkey Fryer burner on his screen porch but has gone to a camping stove that also uses propane tanks. Any idea where I could find one of these outfits? It's on a stand and not just one of the old camping stove types that takes the small tanks.

5. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Most newer camp stoves (if not all) take the small screw-on cannister, but you can get an adapter so it will fit a large tank. The stands are sold separately. All at your local Walmart, etc., or just about any camping supply retailer.

6. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I use my turkey cooker burner to can on. I have an All American pressure canner model 930 and it is huge! My stove isn't large enough to handle it so I got out the burner for the turkey fryer and set it up! it worked so well I set up a little kitchen outside just for canning!

[I asked my DH (the 'D' doesn't always stand for Dear) for an outside kitchen. He walked me outside and asked me where and I explained what I had in mind. He looks around, my "DH" then points to the hose and then to the BBQ smiles and says "looks to me like you already have one!" My DHand walks back in the house, pops open a beer, comes back outside and looks so proud of himself for figuring out that one!]

I would like to add a propane camping stove (2 burner) (for boiling water or to use my other smaller canner on - Costco had one last year I would like) to my little mock up of a ktichen so I can do everything outside. I have an old sink and faucet that connects to a hose and will be adding a large wash tub so I can wash fruit or vegetables in. This added sink will allow me to use the old kitchen sink for keeping jars hot. I have an old kitchen table to set everything on. I have a covered patio that I have screened in to keep the flies and mosquitos out of. This allows me to can outside at night! All this works very well with the Summer BBQing.

I do have chairs around my table which makes it nice to sit while I slice, dice or peel. The table also gives me a place to load and unload the canner because I don't have any counters....yet <wink>

I just bought a propane stove with an oven that I will be moving into my new little outside kitchen. This way I can bake during the summer and my house will stay cool.

The burner will hold a 15 gallon cast iron bean pot filled with water that we use to scald turkeys for plucking without any problems. It doesn't even wabble with that much weight sitting on it. It gets hot in a hurry with 60k+ BTU's.

Brook

7. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

8. prariwildflower

prariwildflower Member

Thank you all. I am going to get my dh to read this thread when he comes home this weekend.

I really, really need one of the burners now :dance:

I have been asking for an outdoor kitchen (or summer kitchen as they are know here) for awhile now But I seem to get a similar response as brook does :rolleyes: :)

Think I will check out ebay now.

Wildflower