Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuppence, my younger doe, kindled this morning, one day early. :)

It's really hot again today but there is a good breeze and she seems to be perfectly fine. In fact, quite chipper and pleased with herself. :cute:

She let me take a look at the babies just now and I think there are eight. :D Perfect litter size! My main concern was to make sure that everything I touched was warm and wiggling (it was), so I didn't do a proper pull-them-out-one-by-one count... time enough for that tomorrow. They look a good size, which didn't surprise me since Tuppence's belly was enormous and on the green feed she has become very trim and sleek.

I've been more concerned about my does this time partly because of the heat and partly because these are the first litters that were conceived and gestated on a mainly green diet. So far so good. I'm still waiting for Patches to kindle and I'm hoping it is tonight when it is going to be somewhat cooler.

Doing the happy bunny dance today! :dance:

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Wonderful! Glad to hear that all are well, despite the heat. As you say, at least there is a nice breeze today.

I seem to spend a lot of time filling up water buckets, bottles etc. in this weather. Fifteen kits and two does go through a lot of water! (I had 18 kits - sold three :) )

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pookshollow said:
Wonderful! Glad to hear that all are well, despite the heat. As you say, at least there is a nice breeze today.

I seem to spend a lot of time filling up water buckets, bottles etc. in this weather. Fifteen kits and two does go through a lot of water! (I had 18 kits - sold three :) )
Thanks! I know what you mean about how much time they take in hot weather... I'm wearing the grass out between here and the rabbitry. I'm just letting the sun get a bit lower and then I'll be out gathering the bunnies' supper. They are doing well on two snacks and an evening meal instead of one large feeding... and it gives me an excuse to visit them. As though I needed one!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
That's good to hear that she had 8. That's gonna keep her busy raising those.

Mine are due this week too.
I think the rex, that i bred to my youngest buck missed. But my Californian is making udders so were very happy about that. I'll put the nest boxes in in the morning.
with both of them just in case I am wrong about the rex.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, SquashNut. I'm really excited about these kindlings... kind of a landmarkfor my little rabbitry. Eight is a nice size for a litter, I think... It's big but not so big that you end up with runts.

Hope BOTH your does have big bouncy babies. Yes, always best to give them a nest box... The worst that can happen is you'll have to clean it later. Whereas if you don't...

Post when your girls kindle. I'll be interested in hearing about them.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
I'm just letting the sun get a bit lower and then I'll be out gathering the bunnies' supper.
I'd have to do some foraging far and wide to find enough green stuff for a meal at this point - it's awfully dry. My crew get dandelions and chicory when DH weeds the garden - what the goats don't eat. Although, if I'd been thinking tonight, they could have had some corn husks - gave 'em all to the goats and horses - duh! I am giving the moms and kits a fair bit of grassy hay, since I've got some really nice stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pookshollow said:
I'd have to do some foraging far and wide to find enough green stuff for a meal at this point - it's awfully dry. My crew get dandelions and chicory when DH weeds the garden - what the goats don't eat. Although, if I'd been thinking tonight, they could have had some corn husks - gave 'em all to the goats and horses - duh! I am giving the moms and kits a fair bit of grassy hay, since I've got some really nice stuff.
I agree... it is very dry... and even with a POP of 60% today, we didn't get a drop. :(

All the same, there is plenty out there. I start at my back door, bucket and pruning shears in hand. Aha! round-leafed mallow, sunflower volunteers (they just keep dividing), some prickly lettuce and sow thistle. Next, down by the compost bins... more prickly lettuce and sow thistle, a bit of red-root pigweed (not their favourite!) then over to the alfalfa patch for some alfalfa and a bit of clover, sow thistle, yarrow and whatever. A stop at the veggie garden for some purslain then back across the lawn, gathering dandelions and chicory as I go. Round things out with some raspberry leaves from the fenceline near the rabbitry and maybe some willow twigs... and by golly! I have plenty!

If you haven't consulted my list of safe plants for rabbits, you may want to take a look. I have both common names (at least for Southern Ontario) and botanical names (much more reliable) listed. Once you can recognize them, you will have no trouble finding plenty to feed the buns.

This time, I intend to start the kits on grass hay, oatmeal and small quantities of greens (likely timothy, raspberry leaves and plantain) even before their eyes open. The idea being that the flora in their digestive tract "starts right" from the beginning. I'm looking forward to testing this... imagine rabbits that never taste a pellet! I don't know quite how far I will be able to carry this experiment this time... but as long as the babies do well, I will not be feeding any pellets.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Your gonna have your hand full keeping up with 2 litters, without any pellets. i just raised a mini lop litter on mostely greens and boy did they eat. I threw food in the cage 3-4 times a day. If I had put it in only once or twice there would not have been enough to feed every one free choice. I also gave the doe 2 jelly jars of pellets and when the kits started eating I put some rolled oats in a seperate feeder.
The cage was always cleaned up from the greens by morning.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SquashNut said:
Your gonna have your hand full keeping up with 2 litters, without any pellets.
Don't I know it! Fortunately I have an alfalfa patch and young bunnies can have a fair bit of alfalfa (once they are accustomed to greens) because they are growing so fast. I will also open a bale of alfalfa/timothy hay for them. They are bedded on grass hay so if there are precocious nibblers in the crew, they can start with that. I'll be feeding some rolled oats too and perhaps the bunny biscuits as well later on.

If I can't provide enough natural food, I will have to add pellets - gradually - or perhaps split the group and raise one group as a control group on pellets and the other on natural foods alone. Might be worth doing for comparison sake anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Patches kindled today... another nice litter of seven or eight. She was looking a bit smug when I checked on them... she is always so proud of herself. Tuppence's babies look good today... very active and their tummies were nice and round.

Yippee! :dance:

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Wow, eight is a good sized litter! Tuppence is doing great.

Congrats on both the litters.

Our kits eat greens before pellets simply because that's what they can reach more easily when they first come out of the burrows. It's dumb luck, really, not careful planning.

So far we haven't had any diarrhea problems or problems with greens or pellets. I think you'll be pleased at the results of starting the kits on greens.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems to me that rabbits generally kindle the approximately the same number each time. Patches has always had between 6 and 8 and the big doe we culled always had 11 to 13. This is only Tuppence's second litter and last time she had nine.

I still haven't done a one by one count of the litters and they squirm around so much it is hard to tell for sure. Most times there turns out to be one or two more than I think. I took another look at Patches's babies, as she had pulled back the fur covering, and saw several dark ones. Both Patches and Tao carry the recessive for angora fur, so it will be interesting to see if the dark ones turn out to be woolies. We had two in one of her litters last summer.

I hope we get a decent rain before these guys are ready to eat greens. There's a wide variety here but the pickings are getting a little skimpy due to dryness. I find myself cutting back sow thistle, mallow and chickory so they are forced to put up fresh young leaves.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,844 Posts
i bring in grass clippings and Hackberry branches when i can,

i cant wait till we have a house with a yard lol, hopefully one big enough to put down a colony pen and some room for cages for differint things lol,

6-8 rabbits in a Two bedroom appartment is alot lol

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope you get that house and yard soon, KSALguy... or you'll end up with bunnies all over the apartment, using you for a trampoline while you sleep, raiding the fridge crisper for veggies, hogging the remote for the TV. I'm sure they are secretly planning The Great Escape, bunny-style.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts