Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I opened a can of tuna fish and rather then the usual chunks it appeared to have been pulverized into a paste consistency. While draining it about a third of it went out the sides of the lid. I don't buy tuna that often but I've never has tuna from a can so pasty and hard to drain. Also I have never bought the packaged kind before. I dont know if its no longer chunky or not. I like the chunks better. Then I can mix it as fine as I want it.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
You're telling my story too. I bought some tuna a couple of weeks ago. It's been months since I've bought any. I saw the same pasty mess, instead of the chunks, like you saw. Yuk! I don't know what's going on but it wasn't appealing at all. There are so many different cans of tuna out there and I don't know which one has the tuna in it now that I'm use to. Too expensive to experiment. Maybe the bag is the way to go now. Next time I'll try it.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I stopped buying that stuff and now, when I want tuna, I buy the albacore kind that is expensive.... It comes out of the can in chunks - not like they cleaned up the floor and stuck it in a can! I am picky about my chunky tuna salad......!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
With me it was Chicken of the Sea and it says Chunk Light on the front. I still have a can. Same can and brand I've always bought before. But the quality is not the same as I've been use to.

Same thing happened to me, more of a soup than chunks of tuna. I got on the computer and sent them a not-too-nice note about what I thought about their tuna or whatever it was. They mailed me an apologetic note and two coupons for the large cans of their tuna. That's been about six months ago and as yet I haven't used the coupons.
E-mail them and tell them you're dissatisfied with their product, the more of us that complain may get some response and a better product. If and when you do decide to e-mail them, keep the can that the tuna came in because they ask all kinds of questions, bar code, product date, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one who has noticed that. I originally thought it was the DW trying to save a penny buying generic but recently I've noticed my favorite Chicken of the Sea is the same yucky mess.....Luvrulz described my thoughts exactly- I thought it was the last batch of the shift and they just used what was swept up off the floor.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I discovered the same mess once with a few cans of Chicken of the Sea.
I stick with Starkist now in the foil packaging.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Tuna populations are dropping and the size of the fish caught are smaller. Simply too many people are eating tuna, and the quality is suffering while the laws of supply and demand jack the price up. If you want to be shocked, consider that sushi chefs in Japan have recently paid over $100,000 for a single large bluefin tuna.

Note also that the can sizes are now dropping from 6 oz to 5 oz. Best advice I can give on tuna is to try a single can of a brand, and keep trying until you find a brand and batch that is good, then stock up on that batch. Last year we lucked into an off-brand at Sav-a-lot that was good, and bought a case. Oh yeah, canned tuna doesn't keep well for much over a year so try not to stockpile too heavily.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I've been noticing this for a couple of years now, with different brands, so I kept switching. Now it's gotten to the point that if you want decent tuna like we used to get and have come to expect you have to pay premium price and buy "albacore chunk white" tuna. It's exactly what we USED to get for the cheap price, now it's being sold as something special, lol. I call the other stuff "tuna mush".

I've tried the tuna in pouches, and I really don't like it. It's way too dry and has no flavor, kind of like eating sawdust to me. So I buy the albacore, but whereas I used to eat a lot of tuna and considered it a low-cost staple, it has now moved to the realm of a once-in-a-while treat. I miss it a lot. :shrug:

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
Well hun! I thought it was just me. We use tuna so rarely that I thought I "mis-remembered" it from my childhood. I've got emergency cans of tuna in my cupboard and they stay in the cupboard because they're pretty much worthless for real dishes.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Walgreens has the "good" tuna on sale this week, Bumble Bee Albacore, BOGO. Works out to .95 a can. That is still kinda expensive but one can of tuna makes a full meal for DH and me.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Wow. I guess that I never paid attention. I do seem to remember from my childhood chunky tuna, but we only buy the cheap stuff now so all I know is tuna flakes. We buy a lot of it from Aldi's because it is a cheap lunch. But you all are right, it is in tiny chunks. Well, I wasn't unhappy until now! Thanks a lot! *grin* :D
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
every can i have used in the past year has been that way. it is disappointing. i wish they would just raise the price instead of reducing the tuna per can an adding more liquid.

·
TLC Farm
246 Posts
With me it was Chicken of the Sea and it says Chunk Light on the front. I still have a can. Same can and brand I've always bought before. But the quality is not the same as I've been use to.
I have found that with Chicken of the Sea as well. It does say chuck light tuna on the can but, it is just mush. Mostly water. Bumble Bee was somewhat better but, not much. I hardly ever buy it anymore.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Yep, same thing here. I last tuna I bought went to the cats. It was a mushy mess. Ick.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
I found the same thing buying Starkist chunk light at sams a few months ago, I just thought I got a bad batch but now I see it is all a bad batch.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I don't even have tuna in the cupboard any longer. I use salmon we caught ourselves, and pressure can it into pint jars, plain. No, it doesn't have that salty zing that you get from canned tuna, but it definitely makes a fine sandwich. Anyone who lives where salmon is available, I urge you to catch your own. Take great care of the fish itself after catching and you will have wonderful flavor and great firm texture too, after processing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts