Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 yr old cocker spaniel. She is my best friend! She is spry, active and alert. She has a mass just below her ear canal that has grown very quickly. About the size of an apricot now. She seems to have no pain. It swells, breaks open and bleeds. Only seems to bother her if I am messing with it. Vet did a test on it, and said cannot tell if it is cancerous ($200 later!) I scheduled her for surgery to remove. They ran labs on her day of surgery and determined that she would not survive the surgery. (Another $$) Very anemic (REALLY...THIS THING BLEEDS A LOT! I could have told them that without paying for labs!) Asked me to repeat the labs in 30 days...I asked "To what end?" No RX to resolve the labs. No recommendation to improve anything. Any suggestions. I am adding liver to her diet to improve the anemia. I thought about trying banding, but hearing it is painful and that's not OK. Using liquid skin to cover, but only last about a day...then breaks open again. To think about euthanizing a dog that is 37 pounds and can still drag ME around the block just doesn't add up in my head!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,109 Posts
See other post.

·
Registered
752 Posts
She is spry, active and alert.... To think about euthanizing a dog that is 37 pounds and can still drag ME around the block just doesn't add up in my head!
You've answered your own question....Euthanize once suffering is upon her, or at least, can be reasonably anticipated.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
So sorry to hear about your pup. At 16 y/o, I'd do what's best for her. Ask the vet to bandage it so the tumor it won't break open. If they can't, and obviously she's in pain when you mess with it, I'd consider putting her down. Your feelings about her have nothing to do with this decision. It's ultimately all about what's best for her.
You can also get a 2nd opinion from another vet.

Reactions: kinnb and doc-

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
What did you decide to do about your dog??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts