Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an OLD dog that still might have a few retirement years left in him, he did his job so he desirves it, but he has a tumor on his backside that is spliting the skin and seem to be painfull to him. Any advise? I hate to put him down already and the vet wants way to much to remove it. This dog has tumors all over him but this one looks painfull. It's about 1"x1" and seems to be getting larger, that's why it's splitting the skin. Any adivse would be nice!
:help:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Did the vet say the tumors were maligiant? Did he reccommend putting the old boy down? I know how costly surgeries can be.

Think about this:

If someone else were in charge of your health when you got old and the decison had to be made to treat your illness or let you live in pain....especially if you had bee a good human and deserved treatemnt....what would you want done? You are probably correct in thinking he is in pain, from all these tumors, especially the big one.

At least talk to the vet about removing this one big one and ask for a payment plan. The vet I worked for always did this for people on a budget. Or you could use a credit card for maybe part of the payment.
Think creative, relieve your good dog's pain (he really does deserve it and would do it himself if he could, but he is counting on you, his best friend to help him) and talk to your vet. You might be surprised how much they want to help you.
Good luck, and please don't let your old friend suffer.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
celticheart said:
Did the vet say the tumors were maligiant? Did he reccommend putting the old boy down? I know how costly surgeries can be.

Think about this:

If someone else were in charge of your health when you got old and the decison had to be made to treat your illness or let you live in pain....especially if you had bee a good human and deserved treatemnt....what would you want done? You are probably correct in thinking he is in pain, from all these tumors, especially the big one.

At least talk to the vet about removing this one big one and ask for a payment plan. The vet I worked for always did this for people on a budget. Or you could use a credit card for maybe part of the payment.
Think creative, relieve your good dog's pain (he really does deserve it and would do it himself if he could, but he is counting on you, his best friend to help him) and talk to your vet. You might be surprised how much they want to help you.
Good luck, and please don't let your old friend suffer.
Very well said! If your vet won't work with you, consult another vet. At least get him some pain meds while you decide what to do. Please know that I am very sorry you and your dog have to go through this. I know how hard it is and I hope you will be able to do what is best for your good old dog.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had taken him to the vet about 3 years ago when he had another tumor that was breaking the skin. The vet told me that there was nothing much he could do about that one because there was too little skin on the leg to mend back after it would be removed. He sugested that if the dog was his, he would not investing the money that it would cost into such an old dog. He said he would put the dog down. That was about 3 years ago.
I know the tumors are not cancerious becauce the dog has many and has had them for a long time. When I first got the dog from the pound he had one that was the size of a baseball on his side. Now the thing is about three time as big and the dog is still living. Their growing all over but there not killing him. I was just hoping that someone had some home remnedy that would help the skin from breaking so easy.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I believe there are home remedies, but you will have to do some research. First thing would be to feed him the best possible diet, and detox him. I don't know what you are feeding him, but many people have reported a great improvement in health when switching to a natural/raw diet. The natural diet will allow his body to begin flushing out toxicity. There are also natural treatments to cleanse the kidneys so they can do their job, then the liver, so it can do it's job.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Very well said!

Please do the right thing by tis guy, in your heart you know what to do---vet him at an expense or let him go. But please don't let him suffer without pain meds at least---at the very least. I would do that for you....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 16 yr old cocker spaniel. She is my best friend! She is spry, active and alert. She has a mass just below her ear canal that has grown very quickly. About the size of an apricot now. She seems to have no pain. It swells, breaks open and bleeds. Only seems to bother her if I am messing with it. Vet did a test on it, and said cannot tell if it is cancerous ($200 later!) I scheduled her for surgery to remove. They ran labs on her day of surgery and determined that she would not survive the surgery. (Another $$) Very anemic (REALLY...THIS THING BLEEDS A LOT! I could have told them that without paying for labs!) Asked me to repeat the labs in 30 days...I asked "To what end?" No RX to resolve the labs. No recommendation to improve anything. Any suggestions. I am adding liver to her diet to improve the anemia, but one could never tell based on her strength. I thought about trying banding, but hearing it is painful and that's not OK. Using liquid skin to cover, but only last about a day...then breaks open again. To think about euthanizing a dog that is 37 pounds and can still drag ME around the block just doesn't add up in my head!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,107 Posts
Yes, you can improve her anemia, unless she is bleeding internally.

What is her current diet?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts