Tuesday she fires up....I hope

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've been slowly fixing up a Massey TO35 Deluxe. I got it cheap and in a forgotten state but with a tune up kit a fuel filtre (no sedement bowl yet) the broken gear shift lever replaced (what a pain in the butt that was!) , and the tranny fuid changed I'm thinking it's time to crank it up with fresh gas. Its not seized and "was running" when parked several years ago, I thought I'd ask what I'm forgetting (forgetful as I am) before I slap in a battery and push the go button! It was "parked" as it ran out of gas in the feild! I can blow it up and not lose 5 cents guys but the profit potential is enormous!

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................I would add some Marvel Mystery oil thru each sparkplug hole and let it sit for several days and then try to turn the engine over without compression . Then , if ALL seems well , I'd change the oil and filter , then return plugs and see if you have "lift off"............fordy...... :eek: :)

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I agree fully with fordy on the turn over without the plugs and after the marvel mystery oil. I might even do the first turnover by hand incase there is rust in one of the cylinders to minimize breaking a ring. I would also add a jar of Barr's leak to the radiator. The gaskets have probably dried and shrunk and this will reduce a chance of creating a leak. That is a tough little engine and all should go well. Good luck.

4. Ross

I appreciat the ideas but I've never heard of Marvel Mystery Oil, any ideas on a substitute? I have certainly rocked it by hand.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Probably, any light weight oil would work .....some kind of peneteating oil that coats the metal surfaces ....and sticks until the oil pump is able to circulate oil thruout the engine........Some folks have used Diesel fuel which is fine ....as long as you DRAIN the old oil out of the pan and replace with new oil ....before actually starting the engine....fordy... :)

6. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

gee - life without MMM - hard to imagine

7. joan from zone six

8. Ross

Don't feel bad, I commented the other day that copying the French off a certificate to a contract was going to be hard first thing in the morning. Was too but only the number part,.....you know 3 5 7 1 etc? :rolleyes:

9. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

ATF in each cylander will do the trick as well as Marvel will if it cant be found in Canada, i am told it is mostly just refined castor bean oil, and running a quart of ATF in the oil for a couple hours [no more than 200 miles in a road vehicle] will loosen up anything that may be stuck inside too, got to replace the oil anyways after running it a bit, why not flush out a few more nasties?

hope you got it going

William

10. Ross

ATF type F is what I used, and I pushed the start date to Friday as I had good weather to roll up some hay and I found some parts (rear rim) for it that I had to move on quickly. Besides Fordy said leave it a few days with the oil in and I have. Had to pick up a new oil filter too which I got and two shifter boots which I thought I had but these are better (new) anyhow. Now to steal... I mean borrow my wife's car battery.

11. joan from zone six

don't want to seem pushy - but, near as i can figure, tuesday's come and gone - howditgo?

i've got an OLD to35 - took me forever to get the sediment bowl gasket to keep gas inside instead of dribbling all over the place - even tried to make a couple after the over the counter ones didn't hack it

12. Ross

New fire up date is Friday to give the suggested oil a chance to do its thing.

13. joan from zone six

is it legal to test-run internal combustion engines in canada on a friday?

14. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

What will the T0-35DeLuxe be worth in Canada after blast off Friday?

15. Ross

Joan, I think so, the city is a bit sticky about open fires on a Sunday (volunteer force out here in the rural city limits. Although I do have a perminant burn permit. We're hoping for a bit better luck than flames.

Agmantoo, it will need a bit more work (like a new rim paint, lights, a seat cushion, and I'd like to make the guages and tach work. Once that is done it should bring $4500-$6000, as it sits $2500. I paid a lot less than that, and it came with a snow blower, a flail mower and a blade. The mower needs a belt and a bearing, the blower a bearing and it all could use a coat of paint. A sweet deal from an unhappy event, (a divorce but hubby set the price to get it gone) Lots and lots of city land speculators with a horse and 50 acres around here. It drives up the prices considerably. With everything included and fixed it should bring $6000-$7000. I'd be tickled with $5500 complete.

16. Automatic tranny fluid; whatever kind is cheapest. I strongly suspect that's what MMO is anyway.

17. joan from zone six

ross - did you have to repair or replace your rims - if so, what was the cost -
    thanks

18. Ross

Well I didn't have time to try it today, hopefully tomorrow after the market. It needs one rim and I found one used no center for $50 CDN. New is about $125. I still have to pick it up, and the guy has a grain auger spout (the hanging bucket type,) NOS for $30 for my little Westfield grain auger. I need three of me!

19. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Since there isn't an update I may not be too late.

I would turn the engine over 360º by hand to make sure no valve is stuck open which would let a piston hit it. Siting in a field, perhaps uncovered exhaust=water in manifold, hence chance of stuck valve. As I recall from science two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

20. Ross

Thanks Windy there was an update here and more by chance I did roll it over 360 degrees by hand. Great advice for anyone about to try what I'm doing though. The air cleaner was well protected from moisture, and it has an underslung exhaust (which will hopefully get fixed this weekend). I'm pulling the guages and tach out to replace them. Not always a priority but I want top dollar for this beast so it has to be near perfect.