tubeless tire leaking

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by retire2$, Jan 22, 2007.

1. retire2$

retire2$ Well-Known Member

I have a small garden tractor tire that leaks. I took the tire off and I will sand the rim. Other than using a tube or buying slime does anyone have any suggestions to help guard against leaks. I remember reading somewhere that you can use paper and antifreeze but don't remember the particulars. I don't use this wagon that much and don't won't to put a lot of money into it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Often they are leaking around the valve stem or the valve itself is bad. Id use a tube instead of the slime since it depends on speed to spread it around. If its a hole you can find it can also be plugged for a couuple of dollars

3. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

IF it is not a hole in the tire that is causing the leak you can use a sylicne caluk aroud the tire and keep it for leaking at the rim. A new valve stem will keep it from leaking at that point.

Put the tire in water and look for bubles in the water and find out what is leaking.

4. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Remove all corrosion, grease, etc. Repaint it. The cheap paint works fine for this. Let dry, install new valve stem. Make sure bead on tire is in good shape. Lube bead, reinstall. Dont mess with silicone or whatever.

Really though I would always use a tube on equipment tires though I know lot of lighter duty stuff now comes tubeless. A tube is going to cost you what, $10 at TSC. Ten bucks is cheap price to pay for not having to do this more than once.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Usually the tires just become porous from small cracks. I put tubes in mine.

6. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

if you think the leak is from the bead. use a good coat of axle grease around the bead. this not only helps seat the tire better, but helps in sealing.

7. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

For leaks around the bead, I use chainsaw oil which is highin viscocity, and it works great. Also keeps the rim from rusting.