Tube-waterer leaking- any ideas?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by mountainman_bc, Dec 23, 2005.

1. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

I bought some "Lixit" drinking tube waterers, they're the ones you stick onto any bottle (coke size).
    It's a rubber snap on fitting. Not hard plastic screwing parts.
    The bottles are draining out really fast- a drip every 5 seconds or so. I'm going away for 2 days... I bought them for this purpose.
    Any tricks?? Thanks.

2. mountainman_bc

Another thing....
    I'll put bowls full of water in too, but seeing I may be away for two full days, what about throwing 6 or so big carrots in with each bunny too? I am thinking that'd be a good water source if all else fails?
    I'm paranoid, and new too bunnies.

3. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't put carrots in with them unless they normally eat a lot of carrot. Might upset their digestion to put a lot of them in with them if they haven't had them.

Why not just double the water bowls if it's only going to be two days?

Jennifer

4. mountainman_bc

Thanks Jennifer. I generally feed them each one big carrot a day.
    They seem to crap in their water which is why I don't like bowls. That is what will happen though if I can't get the waterers to quit dripping.

5. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never used the lixit bottles because to me they seem like a royal PITA to fill up and mount and dismount. I've always used bowls. Yes, they do crap in them occasionally, but with my buns it's two or three manure pellets in a large bowl which probably holds, oh, maybe up to 2 quarts of water. Plus things freeze here so this time of year there isn't another option, anyway. I'm not hearing too many complaints from them. ;)

Sounds like you are good to go with the carrots, then. :)

Jennifer

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Sounds like its not developing a vacume ?? are the lids tightening tight enough on the bottle tops :confused:

I normally use a 32 oz bottle for all my adults ,, but when a doe has a litter 1 bottle just won't do it ,, I use a 2 liter soda bottle attatched to my 32 oz bottle top ,, I use baling wire for a bigger hoop to help hold it in the hanger ,,, ,,

the 2 liter soda bottle plastic is flexable ,, but after it drips a little bit and 'sucks' inwards some ,, it works just fine ,, I'd imagine a 2 liter bottle would do a single rabbit ,, now this time of year when its cool - 3 days at least ,,

I think ,, if you normally feed 1 carrot a day ,, all I would add extra would be 1 more ,, I think 5 or 6 would be asking for gastric problems = my 2 c's ....

a bottle and a bowl ,, if its cold enough there ,, freeze a gallon / quart container of ice for each cage (I don't know how many cages you have :eek: you could be thinking I have 50 cages you idiot lol ) ,, put the frozen block in each cage ,, will take a few days to melt they could lick off the block if they run out of bottle water and crock ,,,,,,