Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. From experience, does 1 number really matter ? For instance, my TSH is 3.55. Most doctors like to keep that number around 2.5 or under. Is my number high enough to start Synthroid? Doctor gave me a prescription mainly because I complained of tiredness and exhaustion. I was just wondering if I would feel a difference if it just dropped 1 number. Hoping someone with same experience will see this and respond.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You will if that is why you are tired and exhausted. Some people are quite symptomatic above 3.00, even though "normal" is up into the 5's. The hard thing is that being tired can have so many causes (like homesteading!). It won't harm you to try thyroid replacement as long as you don't get 'over-corrected', that is, your TSH goes too low which means your thyroid is over functioning which can be dangerous.

I don't have personal experience taking a small amount of thyroid meds but I work in medicine and find that some people do benefit.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I had symptoms of an underactive thyroid for years but they wouldn't do anything about it because my levels were "high normal". I went to a new dr and she told me that the thinking had changed and now they will treat you based on symptoms. She also told me they now know it can take years for your levels to catch up to your symptoms.

By all means get on Synthroid now. Thyroid issues tend to creep up slowly and you don't realize just had badly you have been feeling until you aren't feeling that way any more. I was astounded at the difference after only a week and then progressively better as the Synthroid fully kicked in after about a month or so (everyone is a little different with this).

In my case, mine was apparently pregnancy-induced. Try telling your dr you are overly tired and foggy-headed when you have a newborn and a 2 1/2 year old! They just looked at me like "um, yeah, well.....". I knew it wasn't normal though, I just couldn't get anyone to believe me.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
TSH is a pituitary hormone and while is a part of the puzzle it isn't the whole puzzle and doctors tend to treat it like it is that. You really need to see free T4 and free T3. Both of those numbers need to be in the top 75% of the range to feel optimal. Most people feel best when their TSH is under a 2. I feel best when mine is suppressed because it suppresses my antibodies as well and lessens the autoimmune attack on my thyroid. For a baseline starting place TSH, free T4, free T3, reverse T3, antithyroglobulin antibodies, TPO antibodies, TSI antibodies and thyroglobulin all need to be checked. Synthroid is not always the best answer either, especially if you are a poor converter. T-4 has to be converted to T-3 in order to be used, if you are a poor converter then it doesn't matter how much T-4 you have it can't be used and will eventually make you sicker than you are now. Thyroid issues are complicated. I highly suggest you start reading (Thyroid Change, Holtorf Medical Group, Hotze health and wellness, and Thyroid Nation are a good start). Doctors are not very well versed in the best thyroid treatment. I have been through 12 doctors in 10 years because of my thyroid and the best thing I have ever done was arm myself with knowledge. Stop the thyroid madness is another good site and I will be glad to answer any questions you have. I have Hashimoto's disease and am currently trying to get the doctors to finish testing to find out if I have developed cancer as my thyroid and numbers have suddenly gone haywire. Unfortunately, most of them want you dead before they will run the proper tests. My previous thyroid doc retired so I am once again going through doctors like crazy. Beware of TSH only doctors!! Blessings and good luck, Kat

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Vosey, the current normal range is .3 to 3.0. The old range is up to a 5. So if she is over a 3 she definitely has a problem. Also, everyone needs to understand that the labs get their "ranges" by testing a large group of people, then throwing out the extremes on either end of the range of numbers. They never rule out the people in the group that have thyroid disease. So typically the top and bottom of the range come from people who were tested and had thyroid disease. Ranges are good for tracking movement within the range. In other words if you are suddenly moving up or down then something is amiss and further testing including an ultrasound needs to be done. Getting a doctor to perform comprehensive testing is like pulling a lion's canine tooth without anesthesia. Actually, I would rather tackle the lion. Blessings, Kat

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Synthroid is a bad idea.

There are ways to promote your body to produce more of the hormones naturally.

Think about it.. if your body starts registering the proper amount of hormone is in your body, it stops triggering the glands to produce more.

I have to run to work, but here is a bit of food for thought..
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...oid-actually-making-your-condition-worse.aspx

There are options.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Thyroid issues are all over my maternal side of the family. When I was finally diagnosed, it was as if a weight was lifted off of me. Literally. All of my life, I had to starve to keep my weight down. Terrible.

After synthroid was introduced, the weight dropped off, I finally had energy and my hair became thick and glossy. I would never consider not taking it.

I look back and I think that my mother, aunt and sister have or had the same issues. My DD too. My cousin and her son have battled thryoid cancer.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I agree with Mercola on a lot of things, but each thyroid patient is different. If you have autoimmune thyroid disease like Hashimoto's you absolutely must must replace the thyroid hormones that are not being produced by a thyroid that is undergoing destruction. There are some people who are super converters and so giving them armour or naturethroid, something with T-3, would throw them into hyperthyroid *&ll and be a very dangerous thing to do. Levothyroxin works for some and not for others. Armour works for some and not for others. The key is to understand what kind of thyroid disease is present, Graves, Hashimotos, hypothyroidism, or cancer. Believe me I have tried and done everything natural and it will not control the destruction of my thyroid. It will help, but supplements and diet will not cure thyroid disease.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Oh, one more thing....continuing to suffer with and underactive thyroid will burn out your adrenal glands as they try to compensate continually for the lack of energy. It also has the potential to cause heart failure, breathing problems, digestive problems and other health issues. It is foolish to suffer and destroy your body system by system just because one doesn't want to take a pill. Just my 2 cents and like I said before every thyroid patient is unique in what will and won't work for them. Blessings, Kat

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whisperwindkat,
I know they tested more than just the TSH number. I'll try to put my hands on that test result and post later today. Maybe you can take a look at it and tell me more. I don't know that they tested for all you mentioned, but it was definitely more than just the TSH.
and.....................I'm ashamed to say that I know what grains do to your digestive system. I'm also ashamed to say that I've been eating them. My food choices for several months now have been "very poor." Believe me, I am paying. Lord, help me and give me strength to turn my diet around once again.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Whisperwindkat,
I know they tested more than just the TSH number. I'll try to put my hands on that test result and post later today. Maybe you can take a look at it and tell me more. I don't know that they tested for all you mentioned, but it was definitely more than just the TSH.
and.....................I'm ashamed to say that I know what grains do to your digestive system. I'm also ashamed to say that I've been eating them. My food choices for several months now have been "very poor." Believe me, I am paying. Lord, help me and give me strength to turn my diet around once again.
Post the ranges for those labs as well. Different labs use different ranges.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally found the blood test results..........here it is

TSH...........................3.55------------normal is 0.450-4.500
T4, Free (Direct)..........1.10-------------- " is 0.82-1.77
Thyroxine (T4)..............7.8--------------- " is 4.5-12.0
T3 Uptake.....................26%--------------" is 24-39%
Free Thyroxine Index.......2.0------------- " is 1.2-4.9
Triiodothyronine (T3).......125-------------" is 71-180

Does this make any sense to anyone?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Finally found the blood test results..........here it is

TSH...........................3.55------------normal is 0.450-4.500
T4, Free (Direct)..........1.10-------------- " is 0.82-1.77
Thyroxine (T4)..............7.8--------------- " is 4.5-12.0
T3 Uptake.....................26%--------------" is 24-39%
Free Thyroxine Index.......2.0------------- " is 1.2-4.9
Triiodothyronine (T3).......125-------------" is 71-180

Does this make any sense to anyone?
Like I said before the current AACE ranges for TSH are .3 to 3.0. Your doctor's lab is outdated. As I said before most thyroid patients feel optimal with a TSH under a 2. There are also numerous things that can throw off a TSH number to where it doesn't truly reflect what is going on. Antibodies are one of those things, that is why you need them checked. Your free T-4 is low. Mid range is 1.3 and you are clearly below that. Ideally you would want to be around 1.5 or slightly above. And your free T-3 (free thyroxine index) is way below 50% which would be 3.05. You definitely want to be above that and closer to 4.0 would be ideal. So you definitely have something going on with your thyroid and your TSH just hasn't caught up yet. TSH lags behind everything. It takes a lot of suffering and a long time thyroid disease to make your TSH consistently move up and out of range. Like I said ranges are to be used to detect movement. Once the TSH starts to move up consistently then there is a problem especially with a low T-4 and T-3. T-4 is what your thyroid puts out, it then has to be converted in the liver to T-3. T-3 is what your cells use for energy so looking at your numbers you are running at 25% or so capacity. Now you see why you feel awful? You really need to get those other tests run. At the very least have TPO, antithyroglobulin and TSI run. Mention those first and see how receptive your doctor is before pushing for any others. A baseline ultrasound will show if you have nodules developing even if he can't palpate your thyroid. That will tell you if you need to watch that thyroid. TPO and antithyroglobulin are antibodies indicative of Hashimoto's disease. TSI is typically thought of as a Graves disease antibody, however it is present in some Hashimoto's patients and some cancer patients. Having this along with the other two antibodies means that you might have trouble controlling your disease as you will have more frequent swings between hypo and hyper and they might be more intense. Knowing means that you can prepare yourself for the possibility of discussing surgery or ablation with your doctor. Meaning you might have to push for it. This is a disease that you will not be able to take a back seat and let your doctor choose the best path. Please learn everything you can, talk to other thyroid patients, and become your own advocate. There are millions of us who suffer. Join the ThyroidBoards. A lot of great folks over there who are serious research gurus and can point you in the direction to learn all you can. Hope all this helps and again I will be glad to answer any questions. But yes, you have something going on and you need further testing. Blessings, Kat

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Probably. It's worth a try, isn't it? Have you had antibodies drawn? Sonogram? Nuclear med thyroid uptake study?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, it is worth a try. I did have an ultrasound on my thyroid but that was 2 years ago. Everything was fine. I have not had any antibodies drawn nor the uptake study.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts