Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 coops connected by a large fenced in chicken yard. One of the coops is a remodeled barn stall we put a outside door on and opened into the yard. For a few months now I've noticed something strange going on in that coop. Eggs keep getting thrown across the coop and smashed into the wall opposite the chicken nests. The pine chips keep getting dug out of them too. None of the chickens roost in that coop and they aren't fed in it. A few of my hens prefer laying their eggs in it though. Something is also digging holes in the floor about 2 inches wide. I'm the only human going into it at least that I'm aware of. The other connecting coop where all of them roost is never bothered. I was thinking rats but would they have enough strength to send eggs flying that far? It's about 12 feet across. I'm not finding any rat droppings in the nests or seeing any other animal droppings. We closed the coop off today and set out rat traps just in case. Forgot to mention during this time I've had 2 roosters die for no reason we can find. No marks on them.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Do you have or know anyone that has a game camera. Mount it in the right spot and you will eventually find out what is going on. Bought one at Wal Mart for around a hundred. They are mighty handy.

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
Is the stall and barn open to other birds access?
I know some wild birds (jays, crows, ravens) will steal eggs...could be dropped eggs?
Ditto the game or surveillance cam suggestion.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have or know anyone that has a game camera. Mount it in the right spot and you will eventually find out what is going on. Bought one at Wal Mart for around a hundred. They are mighty handy.
Good idea! We'll set one up in a few days.

Is the stall and barn open to other birds access?
I know some wild birds (jays, crows, ravens) will steal eggs...could be dropped eggs?
Ditto the game or surveillance cam suggestion.
No access to birds the whole coop is enclosed all the way to the ceiling. Nothing touched the rat traps last night.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
A ferret type feral critter maybe? They are surely able to toss an egg hard, and far, and can be the diggers of the hole you mention. A game camera would be great. Let us know what you find!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts