Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought the next door neighbors place. We needed the land for pasture. They have some pretty maple trees growing. How can i keep the horses from eating the trees? Is there something to wrap the trunks with. I realize i can fence them off but i would rather use some kind of a wrap. I have cut the low branches down. Any suggestions?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
2"X4" welded Wire should work.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
Chicken wire, also.

My great-great-great-great-great grandmother lives in the great forests of what is now Arizona when she was young. Then the horses came. You can see how much forest land is left.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,635 Posts
Maple leaves are HIGHLY TOXIC TO HORSES
They WILL KILL THEM

There are a couple of recent threads about Maple leaf toxicity

DO NOT keep those trees if you have horses pastured near them

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?complete=1&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Maple+leaves+kill+horses[/ame]

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,304 Posts
I know that Jap. Maple are toxic to horses, but hadn't ever heard that regular maple was. Cheapest way to keep them from stripping the bark is to use the steel mesh that is used in concrete floors. Can get a 150 foot roll for 80 bucks. Cut off a 12 foot length and circle each tree.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Not all maple trees are toxic. What kind are they? Do a search.

The horses are not likely to want the leaves, but put a wide berth around each tree using cattle fencing or other wire type of fence.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are not the red maple trees. I have checked every tree to make sure they were not a poison one. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
S. Sally: Please do not blame it all on the horse. Many, many other more major factors involved!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts