trying to save him, any advice...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Jul 11, 2006.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I can tell you what I have done already and if you can give me any help (you all have given so much already) I would appreciate it. Ok the bottle babies have both got sore mouth now. The one that has pinkeye, is back down to only eatiing a few ounces a day. I am giving baby aspirin and baby orajel. Also giving them Nutrical, vet is out of Nutridrench, one is getting teramycin in the eyes 3 times daily. I also wash his face with a vinegar and water mix. The one that has just gotten sore mouth is begining to shiver, even though it is 85 here today. Both have very slight coughs. I am thinking of bringing then inside and putting them in cut off sweatshirt sleeves to help with the little ones shivering. It would also keep the flies off of them. Do you think this is a good idea, or would the stress of being messed with more be worse on them? Thanks again, sorry to keep bothering everyone, but I feel like all we are doing is sustaining and not gaining anything. :Bawling:

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not an expert, but since they are shivering and coughing, I would start an antibiotic. You should be able to pick up one, and the syringes to administer it, at your feed store. If it was me, I'd go with penicillin or maybe Tylan.
    Someone else, no doubt, will give you better advise, but that's what I'd do.
    Since it is so warm out, I would not sweater them or bring them in.
    mary

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

They NEED antibiotics , sore mouth can lead to other infection. Vit b injection maybe to. Tube feed them since they are not eating much. I would lay off the vinegar on the face , that will burn if he gets it in his eyes and its also not real great to breath in.

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

What type of milk are they getting replacer or from Mama?

Keep them out of the drafts and in deep bedding. Keep them dry.

I would hit them with antibiotics now and again tonight.

5. tinetine'sgoat

Do you think I should give them some probiotics now, or wait till they get some feed going through them?

6. tinetine'sgoat

They are getting replacer for now, but we have a doe that we are going to start milking this weekend to give them milk.

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Bless your heart. :angel: When the s*@# hits the fan at your place it really does. I am sure you will see people tell you NOT to use the replacement. They will tell you to use either Whole cows milk, or the mixture of Whole cows milk, buttermilk, and Evaporated milk. (I used replacement witout any trouble but not everyone has that luck) I had Thrush when I was in High School and I would not wish it on anyone, not even someone I really didn't like at all. I lived on Luke warm jello for two weeks, and I had to use a special mouth rinse, but you can't do that to them, so try giving them their (milk) luke warm, almost a LITTLE cool, not too cool. I would do the probias to keep their tummys going. I would bring them in also. Watch their temp. It should be 101-104, if it gets too far below 100 it is hard to get them back up. If they do, then put them on a heating pad and try to keep them warm. It sounds like you might have to tube feed them. Please take these {{{{{HUGS}}}}}} and give the babies kisses, I am sending prayers to you and them. May god be wuith you and them. :angel: Keep the Orajel going.

8. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is pretty aggressive with antibiotics in situations like this, and she's had good luck with it.

Ruth

9. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Yep and I am one that says don't give replacers bad bad experience.
    but with pink eye they have to be kept inside sun and light really bothers them until it clears up. you can use neomiocin(sp) for people if you don't have the stuff for goats and it works.
    sore mouth is contagious to you and the rest of the herd. but put these guys on antibiotics and along with that probios and b vitamins. The one not eating needs to be tubed probably because her mouth is too sore to eat
    They need to be warm so get them warmed up and take their temps.

10. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

LA200 or Biomycin 200 will help clear up the pink eye. Give them a shot twice a day for 3 days. Soremouth needs to run it's course, btu I would also put them on an antibiotic like the others suggested. Vitamin B complex will help with appetite.
    Oh, I have always used replacer & never had a bit of trouble with it. :)

11. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

PINNICILLIN and LOTS of it, give them shots of Pen, even for the pink eye i had a friend who would take some and rub the pennicillin onto the eye to help clear the infection up,
    also Vit B-complex injections

12. Sweet Goats

Please give us a update on the little ones. How are they doing? How are you? Are you hanging in there? Please update.

13. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Are you sure of soremouth? I have a breeder friend who thought one of her does caught it at a fair and it turned out it wasn't that.

14. tinetine'sgoat

It's slow going, but they are still going. The one who has it the worst has it all over his nose and his mouth. He will take the bottle a little bit, but he hangs his tongue out the side of his mouth to take it. The Nutrical and probios are helping them pep up more. I keep with the theory of one more day is one day closer to better. I think yesterday the one may have been shivering cause I had his bottle to cool. It was hot yesterday and I think that the cooler bottle may have had something to do with it. I have a little pan of water with them and the worse of the two has been dipping his mouth in it. Soremouth is only supposed to last a couple of weeks at the worst right?

15. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

yes and they die if they don't drink because they feel so uncomfortable.
    sondras advice was good

16. tinetine'sgoat

Improvement!! The worst one has taken almost 20 oz today!!! He was doing just *ok* and when I went outside a few minutes ago he went nuts on his bottle!!! :dance: The other little guy has taken about 14 so I'm a happy monkey!!! Now he did this to me a few days ago (improved a bunch and then got down again) so we'll just go from here. I noticed that some of the places on the corners of his mouth look like the scabs are loosening, does that mean that they are almost done, like chicken pox?

17. tinetine'sgoat

Do you remember what it was that they had?

18. Sweet Goats

Yes, when they start to dry up the scab will fall off. Good job, :clap: keep up the good work.